Newbie question about mounting MH Ballast

BigDora

Non-member
Where do most people place their MH ballasts? Do you put it in the canopy, in the stand under the tank, in a cabinet in a separate location? I've read that it is supposed to be away from moisture (yet it is made for an aquarium?). I've also read that they give off heat so you probably don't want it inside your canopy. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

My ballast has extended cords so mine is about 4 feet from the tank in a corner. I have wall to wall carpeting so I put mine on 2x4's to keep it off the ground.

I have mine on the floor nest to the tank. I used 1x1 pieces of wood to raise it off the floor in case of a flood. I would not put it in the canopy because it adds heat, is exposed to a hellish environment, and makes the canopy even heavier if you need to take the canopy off.

Here's where I put mine, I dont have a conopy, or a basement or fishroom...but it works great for my set-up, they are away from water spray and well off the floor.....it looks like they are noticeable but you would never find them if you came to look at the tank..when the pics where taken my house was empty so we had a great angle, now my couch is there and you can't look straight at the ballasts like in the pic...

Here's where I put mine, I dont have a conopy, or a basement or fishroom...but it works great for my set-up, they are away from water spray and well off the floor.....it looks like they are noticeable but you would never find them if you came to look at the tank..when the pics where taken my house was empty so we had a great angle, now my couch is there and you can't look straight at the ballasts like in the pic...

oops heres the pic

WTF, lets try again

0 for 3 :D

Back