Newbie Seeking Advice

mattn007

Non-member
I am workign on my first reef setup. It will be a 90 gallon AGA with 2 175W MH and 2 110VHO Actinics.

What is the best way to heat it. How powerfull and where to put heaters? Can I put them in the sump only?

What are suggestions for the return pump? I, like everyone wants it to sit in the sump, be quiet and efficient (doesn't give off much heat). I will have two one-inch blukheads for the flow down to the sump.

Thank you,
-Matt

Two 200w submersible heaters, one in the tank and one in the sump. If you put it in the sump only and the return pump fail, your live rock will get cold.

There is a chart somewhere to calculate how many watts of heaters you need. It's based on volume of water and how many degrees you need to warm compared to the room temp. I prefer to use multiple heaters that total that calculated amount since everyone at one time or another has experienced heaters that stick on or don't come on. I'd rather a 200 watt heater stick on than a 500 watt stick on.

If you have the money, look into an aftermarket controller to run the heaters on. People have had much better luck with these.

I like dz6t's suggestion. If you can put one in the tank, go for it.

As for a return, I'll let others tell you what they use as I've never had a setup like that. I'm guessing they will suggest a Mag 9.5 or 12.

We havn't been doing this for a long time, six months or so, but we live close and you could come see our setup.

I wouldn't worry about the heater being only in the sump unless you are going on a vacation, and then you have other things to worry about. The temp wouldn't drop too fast especially if the lights are on. O2 is your first concern in an outage. Wattage depends on how your needs, how warm will the room be and how hot do you need the water. I forget the rule of thumb. It is something like 3 watts per gallon. I'm sure someone will correct me on that.

Edit: groove beat me to the post

I agree with what others have said. I would use multiple heaters in the sump. I have a Mag 7 for a return on a 75 gal tank. I think you would be good with a mag 9.5 IF you are putting the sump in the stand under the tank. Otherwise, you would need something stronger to accomodate a greater head.

Unfortunately, I don't know how many watts for your heaters you need. I'll look around and see if I can find a calculator.
-Karen

I've got a 75G. I too use two 200 watt heaters (titanium) in my sump. If one fails, the other can keep it moderately warm until I fix it. I don't use glass after having killed two of them with LR. I also agree that it is better to have a lower wattage heater stuck ON than a more powerful heater. I use a Mag 7 for return.

I never thought about the return pump failure and the possibility of heating the display with one of the two heaters. Good point. I think I'll address that soonest!

David

The other solution to protect the glass heater is to use a heater guard. I used to use heater guard in my Oscar tank because the big strong fish like to smash on things.

I remeber the rule is 5 watt per gallon in a unheated room and 2 watt per gaoon in a heated room. But I think putting a fish tank in a unheated room is not such a good idea.

I put 150W in my 92 corner and the tank is toasty. Add up the heat from the lights and the pumps, + my house is always between 65 in winter and 74 in summer and you have a tank at a solid 80 degrees, day and night.

i run a 300 w main heater which can keep the temp at 80 on its own then i have a 200w on a different circuit incase the breaker trips. Get a submersable and put them in a sump. hidden and out of the way...matt I in pepperell want to stop by and see my setup.?

Is you sump going to be under the tank or in the basement?

My sump is in the basement and I just got an Iwaki MD 100RLT for it :). If yours is in the stand then perhaps a Mag 12 or equivalent.

Get multiple heaters and put them in the sump. I hate equipment in the display

I don't have water yet Dave. That will be after I pick up the new pump Friday. I have already aquascaped with dry rock and I have my lights on and I sit in front of a dry tank and smile. :)

Your welcome to stop by. I was going to post some pics last night but the batteries ran out on my camera.

JustDavidP said:
That's an easily maintained tank now eh?
I haven't had to clean the glass much. :)

Somehow i still find myself staring at it as if it was fully stocked. :D

mattn007 said:
I am workign on my first reef setup. It will be a 90 gallon AGA with 2 175W MH and 2 110VHO Actinics.

What is the best way to heat it. How powerfull and where to put heaters? Can I put them in the sump only?

What are suggestions for the return pump? I, like everyone wants it to sit in the sump, be quiet and efficient (doesn't give off much heat). I will have two one-inch blukheads for the flow down to the sump.

Thank you,
-Matt

Heat it? With all that lighting?? Just leave the lid off, ahahahah.

wsonner said:
Heat it? With all that lighting?? Just leave the lid off, ahahahah.
I agree. I don't even have heaters anymore. The halides cook the water and it only drops a degree overnight so I don't even need them.

I plan to keep the sump and refugium under the tank. In the intereste of cutting down noise I am considering an external return pump and putting it 2 feet directly below the sump on a ledge in the garage.

Does anyone think that is a good or bad idea, will it cut the noise down and is it a smart thing to do. I noticed external pumps seem to be more pricey.

Also what pumps do people prefer/recomend for a 90 gallong with 7 feet head perfectly verticle?

Thanks,
-Matt

Back