Newbie to BRS

ChrissyB

Non-member
I'm new to BRS and after inheriting my brothers "reef tank in progress" 4 years ago (he had it for 12 yrs prior) I have become an addict. The setup is a 29 gal running an Amiracle HOB wet/dry with skimmer. Inside the tank are the two fish that came with the setup-a clown and striped damsel. A banded coral shrimp, emerald crab, tiger tail sea cucumber, several hermit crabs/various snails and a colony of Zoos have been added over the years. Aside from adding a pair of Koralia power heads and a lighting upgrade-PC's to T5's, the tank is running well on all the equipment that came with it.

But, it's been four years of good and bad. The worst being a BAD hair algae outbreak in February. I swear it appeared overnight, although I know it didn't. I almost broke down the tank and called it quits but I was able to get it under control by good old fashioned water changes and being extra diligent about routine maintenance. The lesson I learned was the absolute importance of routine/regular maintenance, which I had been uncharacteristically lax about around the time of the outbreak.

And recently I thought I'd try my luck with an Anemone. All was going great until this past Tuesday when I came home and noticed something 'smelled' off. I checked the tank and the water was a cloudy, stinky mess. It got sucked into the pump that feeds the HOB filter!! I immediately did a 25% change, cleaned the pump and have been testing to make sure the parameters remain stable. Then, after consulting with my friend, the internet, I found that this is not all that uncommon and there are great tips to prevent this from happening.

I guess my point is this, though I really hate having living creatures be my own personal lab experiment, I have learned so much in the past 4 years with my current setup. I have done some things well and miserably failed at others but every day I learn something new that will help me to be more knowledgeable and better prepared to take on the responsibility of a larger "reef ecosystem". I am seriously considering a 55 gal to be my next/final step due to space limitations and the Red Sea Max 250 has really piqued my interest, so thoughts/opinions are most welcome.

P.S. Am I in the minority in saying that the 'critters' in the tank are way more enjoyable than the fish? Even when I go to an LFS, I always gravitate towards the invertebrates.

LiveRock-2.jpgHermit-2.jpgDSCN0242-3.jpg

welcome to the BRS and no i live the inverts also. i guess thats why my main piece of livestock in my tank is my mantis.

Welcome.

Every reefer has their own good and bad days and I'm glad your bad days haven't make you say 'quit".

I personally prefer 75 over 55. For AGA tanks, they have the same length and height. The larger width of 75 will give you more flexibility with rock work and real estate. The stand for 75 will also allow you to have more space under tank for sump or refugium.

Thank you for that info. I didn't realize that the AGA 75 and 55 shared the same footprint. Gives me something to consider. Although putting together a tank is somewhat confusing - especially when considering the filter system. That's kind of why I gravitated to the Red Sea Max, I like that it is plug and play. Maybe a couple of mods would need to be made, but for the most part there is no decision making on my end. But I suppose that it what y'all and this forum are here for...to help others figure these things out. So as I carefully consider my next steps rest assured I will be looking to these boards for help and advice.

:w Chrissy.

Great pics BTW...and we didn't even need to ask ;):D

Do you have any problems with the olive snails? Mine are always moving corals around as they dig up and down.

I've only had a problem once when my turbo snail bulldozed over a piece of live rock and it fell over, not hurting anything thankfully. I positioned that live rock better so that it wouldn't happen again. And it hasn't.

Back