Newbie to BRS

millcityrider

Non-member
Hello everybody, my name is Jay.

I was sent in the direction of BRS by a co-worker. I'm unsure of his handle on here but I'm sure he will chime in.

I live in Lowell but travel around the country often with the military. I started with fish about 4 years ago with a 10g fw that turned into; a 30g, 55g, 40g sw and finally a 125g sw.

The 125g has about 100lbs of lr and is stocked with:
Fish:
Vlamingii Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple "Red sea" Tang, Sailfin Tang, Powder Brown Tang, Tomato Clown, Sailfin Blenny, Jade Filefish, Picasso Trigger, Ocellaris Clown pair, Blue Damsel and 10+ Yellow Tail Damsels.

Coral:
Colt, Kenya Tree, Frog Spawn (back from the dead), Mushrooms, Various Polyps.

This tank has been set up for 2+ years but it is coming down soon. I built this stand
n50205437_31337265_8641.jpg

and ordered another 125g from Jays. I have an additional 150+lbs or LR on "standby" for this tank as well as my first stab with MH, 2 175W 15K. My intentions are to set up the new tank, cycle and then slowly move stock over to the new tank. My plans for this tank are endless!!

I will be trying out Hard corals for the first time so expect to see some questions regarding their care as well as calcium reactor type questions.

After looking through many fish related forums and reading many "introduction" posts I always for some reason wonder, "how often does this person do water changes" haha
So for the the curious; I treat ick and any other fish malfunction by over-feeding and raising the temp by a ridiculous amount and I only do water chenges when I "feel" like the levels are high. I promise I am going to take water quality and changes more seriously with the new tank :)

Some other hobbies that interest me are; motorcycle racing, german made vehicles and shooting. Some of the forums I am a member of include: audizine.com, 600rr.net, akarally.com and monsterfishkeepers.com.

I think that about covers all of it, I appretiate you reading!

Welcome to the BRS. Lots of helpful people in here.

Thanks! I have been lurking for a few weeks now and have already spent hours on here reading.

2 things I forgot to mention:

1. I think I'm the second Jay McCarthy on this forum.

2. I will be paying my dues for full membership :)

Hi Jay, welcome. I'm from Lowell as well. Give me a ring if you need any help. I will be upgrading to a six footer in the near future. Post some more pictures.

Hi Jay,
:w to the BRS.

If you haven't bought the lights yet, you may want to go 250 watters instead of the 175. Better light intensity for those stony corals. :)

thanks everybody!!

Hi Jay,
:w to the BRS.

If you haven't bought the lights yet, you may want to go 250 watters instead of the 175. Better light intensity for those stony corals. :)

The lights have been purchased. (off another forum for a good price) I think for now I am going to put the 175s on the ends of the tank and get a 250 as you recomended and put that in the middle. My first hard guys can go under the 250 and then I can upgrade as I expand.

Jay,

You are a really stand out guy. Your dedication and persistance to the hobby has really inspired me to take my aquariums more seriously. I'm so glad I had the opportunity to meet you and gain knowledge from your professional experiences and life lessons.

Welcome to BRS.

Back