News: breeding sea anemones

~Flighty~

Now with more baby
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200504/s1339204.htm

Last Update: Wednesday, April 6, 2005. 10:25am (AEST)
Breeding first for sea anemones
Researchers at the National Marine Science Centre at Coffs Harbour, on the NSW mid-north coast, have bred sea anemones in captivity for the first time.

The project might help the long-term survival of sea anemones, which are in danger of being harvested to extinction in some areas to supply a thriving aquarium trade.

PhD student Anna Scott, who is heading up the project, says anemones reproduce by releasing sperm and eggs into the water.

"The males release these amazing clouds of milky white sperm into the sea water and with the water movement that disperses quite rapidly," she said.

"The females release large masses of eggs that are held together in a light mucous, and then they float to the water surface where they break apart."

She says her research might allow for commercial breeding in captivity.

"There's a definite possibility that the data from this research can be used to start mass culture techniques for host sea anemones, and with that we can then supply the aquarium trade with animals that have been bred in captivity, or we can replenish areas that we have already impacted," she said.

Mine might not be breeding, but I wish that they would stop splitting. Ours split 10 times over the last 3 years. I have four in the tank now that I need to thin out. The funny part is that one clone has has very thin tentacles. Thought that it was just a young clone at first, but it is getting much bigger and the tentacles are not getting any larger or getting bubble tips.

Attachments

• IMG_2267.jpg
    IMG_2267.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 230
Back