NSW question

littlep93056

Non-member
Collect NSW off cape cod this weekend for my newest tank (50gal.) Filled tank with all NSW , system is fully running w/ skimmer . My question is , is there a cycle with this water , how long before i can add fish The salt reading is 1.25

this is a bare bottom tank , i'm running a Amiracle MR300 Wet/Dry Filter (large box) So do i have to wait

Last edited:
Are you putting live rock into the system?
You will have to wait for the various bacteria to get established to handle the tank's nutrient load. Start it up, wait 24 hours, test, and watch. After 48 hours, test again.

You still have ensure the bacteria are handling the nutrient load.
You might not get a cycle, but on the other hand, you might as the bacteria colonize your filter.
Test and observe results over 48-72 hours.

Don't you need to feed the bacteria to get them going? Do you have an established canister filter that you can run? Or put something dead in, like a coctail shrimp to do a cycle. I would think that whatever amonia is in there first (seahorse pee, or something you put in) would build up untill the bacteria get established.

littlep93056 said:
should i put some live rock from one of my est. tanks in there to help seed the bio-balls
I think if you do that there will already be established bacteria and you won't have a cycle, but I'm not completely sure that I know what I'm talking about.

i have two breeding pairs in a 72 gal with a 40 gal ref. this tank is for their babys, yes it is very hard to keep the babys alive. Thats why i'm doing this 50 gal. tank to see if i can keep more alive

littlep93056 said:
should i put some live rock from one of my est. tanks in there to help seed the bio-balls
Yes this is a good idea. You will have to cycle the tank, as it is the rock/bio balls that support the nessary bacteria needed for de-nitrification. The time required for this is whatever it takes to get readings to zero. With good established rock this could only take a day or so.

Back