Ok so who DOESN'T want a 2nd tank right????.....

jdemarco

Non-member
Ok so I have a 110 DT in the living room with sump under in stand (crowded stand to say the least).
I want to possibly put another (but smaller tank) across the room on the opposite wall. I have the ability to run some flexible PVC down through the floor and run it under the floor and come up on the other side of the room on the opposite wall but here is the catch.....
How can I tie the new tank into the exisiting sump (currently under my original tank) without moving the sump down to the basement....
Meaning:I can put another pump into the exisiting sump and can certainly pump water over to new tank (basically out of sump, down under the floor and up into the tank on the other side of the room obviously can be accomplished with the right pump and head rating etc with no issues... but how can I get the outflow/overflow of the potential new tank to flow back to the originaly existing sump on the other side of the room assuming it needs to follow the same path????....meaning it can flow out of the new tank overflow down through the floor acorss the room to the original sump..... but it would need to rise a foot or two to get back up through the floor and up inot the original sump ......Question is would water flowing from the overflow of new tank be able to accomplish this????.....flow down through the floor, hug the underside of the floor and runn across the 15feet of floor and then up two feet back into the exisiting sump simply on its own.

Now i am fully aware that the best thing to do is move sump to basement but BESIDES that.....can i set up a simple tank on other side of room without moving exixting sump and just have water flow to and from (in a fool proof way meaning pumped from original sump to NEW tank and flow back on its own simple overflow)......just asking?????

Last edited:
Interesting Idea.
As far as I know,if the water exiting the tank is above the sump then it theoretically should work.
If the overflow pipe is void of all air then it would work like a water level and rise on the sump side to the water level of the tank.
Basically like a big U tube type overflow.
I would do some testing before trusting it.

I think you should stick with one tank, because one tank is expensive enough and enough work for me. I would use the funds from not setting up the second tank on your current tank. Unless it was a seahorse tank, and if it was i would separate the 2 systems. Note that this is only my 2 cents.

Last edited:
the gravity feed from one side to the other would probably not work. The supply (pump) side would do fine, but the drain (gravity fed) side would encounter a lot of resistance on the run under the floor, and since at some point it would have to go under the floor and come back up, IMO, it is a flood waiting to happen.

I agree with what Jay said. And not only that, imagine if it somehow flooded beneath the floor. -_-

I +1 on using any money you'd spend on a 2nd tank and buy better lighting, or inhabitants, or corals for your current tank. Spruce it up a lil instead. Because if you want a 2nd tank, then odds are you aren't 110% in love with your current tank. Otherwise, IMHO, idky you'd want another.

You could always set up a pico/nano tank on the other end of the room. Or a sumpless 29g like mine. Though I want a sump... Lol.
My entire setup was under $1,000 total minus inhabitants.

Back