?? on Additives and food

don in mass

Non-member
HELLO my tank is up a running i'm gonna let it cycle till the end of january .
now it's time to learn about what additives and foods that are needed for a soft coral reef tank.
so if someone can please post a list of what will be needed it will be a great help. thanks for your time and help don

Feeding can become a bit of a complex topic and I don't do it much, so I'll leave that for others to speak to.

As for additives, (even for a softie tank) you should maintain Ca, alk, and Mg. Supplement/maintain those, and do water changes. Most of the other additives you will see being sold are questionable to useless. If you buy a closet full of kent bottles (or any other similar brand), your probably making a major mistake :)

Some other additives may have some benifits, but if you can't test for it don't add it (one of many golden rules of reefkeeping). If you can't test for it, and your concerned, do water changes.

You'll likely get some conflicting advice other than the above (ie, I dose 20 drops of lugols iodine a day and it's really making my shrooms take off...). But take it slow, listen to LOTS of peoples experiences/advice, and find what works for you. In general though, most of the bottles on the LFS shelf are not necessary and possibly more trouble than they are worth.

Other words to the wise;
-If it says "marc weiss" on the label, it IS garbage
-If someone reccomends it saying something like, "this could be benificial", keep listening and ask way.
-If someone reccomends it saying something like, "you need to use this", keep listening ask why, then leave ;)
-If one bottle says "boosts Ca, alk, and....." walk away. You can't put Ca and alk in one bottle in any usable form. (other than kalkwater mix, but that's another story)
-If it's too good to be true, well you know...

-bulkreefsupply.com is a great place to save a ton of $ and get the good stuff, in bulk, without the fancy labels. Look into their "two part kits" for your ca and alk needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
(if you can't test for it don't add it.) From jimmyj7090.
This is the first , also very basic one to remember of SW.......

don let me know when your ready for frags i have some nice mushrooms that i can give you if they will let go of their rock anyone know how to get them off a rock without killing them? sorry for the thread hijack

Back