Opinions before I purchse a light for my new setup

SteelerMike

Non-member
I have been collecting equipment to set up my 125g tank. I plan on starting as FOWLR for the first 3-4 months to get the tank stable and then introduce corals from there. My last purchase to make before I set the tank up is lights. I am trying to decide between LEDs and T5. That being said, I don't want to break the bank and so I am looking at the TaoTronics 120w LEDs from Ebay (I have read several threads on other forums of people having good luck with them) or a middle of the road T5 fixture. Looking for opinions on where you think I should go. Thanks in advance.

You’re in the same boat as some of us who are putting off and waiting for the jury to come to a verdict. I am still learning myself in regards to what is good and what is bad.

From what I can tell you have to take the depth of your tank into consideration. The penetration power of the lights is important as well. From what I have gathered so far the only real colors you need are white and blue (check on type of blue).

One of the questions I posed to Jake Adams at February’s meeting was in regards to the other needed colors and spectrum of light. Now it has been said that the blue and white alone does not meet certain spectrums that are needed. But some articles say it is good to have red and I can never remember the other color that is good to have in the light you choose.

With that being said, be very careful in what you select. I keep hearing of people burning or bleaching their corals, so I guess having the ability to dim them is very important. At least the ability of being able to raise and lower the fixture as needed to avoid this issue.

Experiences have been, buy something very cheap and end up with issues. Go mid to high quality would be my advice. I like the options of the Radions, but let’s face it. Who can afford all that money over a 120-240g tank?

I am sure someone with more experience or members that have LED’s lights will chime in here shortly with a better outlook. I can tell you that I am planning to go with a variety of LED and T5’s. Let’s face it MH are expensive to run and LED’s are expensive to purchase. I am sure that the price will come down over the next several years, but that would only put off getting your tank up and running.

Definitely do your research and ask, ask, ask. Form your own opinion and go with a decision you are confident with. You are the one that needs to be happy in the long run, mentally and financially.

Good luck! Let us all know what you decide.

Hello mike i was doing same thing last year research on lights after about 6 month of looking i went with a led light from ebay and oc reef have them to theses here http://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-LED-Sa...090?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1536bb5a . I had them on my tank 6 months with great resaults ( softies & lps )I just bought 3 maxspect mazarra http://www.saltysupply.com/MaxSpect...-s/14207.htm?gclid=CLbRvvOp1a4CFeURNAodLnnodw. I went with these because of all the options and look they might be pricey but in the long run they pay for them self.here are some other things that made my mind up http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/maxspect/78753-howards-zero-edge-rimless-ppg-starphire.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qscL9ch-7ow

mike hoped it helped a little bit my 2 lights from ebay will be going up 4 sale if interested shoot me a pm .don

Ive run all 3, all with good results in all honesty. I originally ran a 4x24 T5 setup. And had great growth on a 24" deep tank. Then I went to a 120 watt LED fixture on the same tank. I had great growth on all of my corals (yes, it had a few SPS colonies). Now I am running a T5 and MH combo light. And again, I still have great growth.

And alas...I am changing my lights AGAIN. I just received my new pair of LED fixtures. Check my build thread next week for my short term review on what I got, as it is a prototype, and I am really pumped to see how it all pans out.

I would spend months looking into it until your a light guru, i jumped into t5s and a month later i decided i didnt want to be paying $100 for new bulbs every 6 months, then bought leds only to hear about the lack of spectrum.

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone. I think I am leaning toward LEDs, but I'm going to do a bit more research. I'll keep you guys posted!

I would not recommend led if you are just getting into the hobby... to hard to fine tune,

They are just a fad IMO

I have 3x250 mh with vho actinics and had nothing but good luck with them I will never use LED

LED's are no FAD. There are many people on BRS and RC and R2R with big money tanks who use LED's including myself (no big money here) with great success.

Coral placement can be tricky and I've said this before that if you have Led's you should also own a PAR meter hence all the stories you hear about coral breaching/dying.

When I bought my Radions and I fist put them in I said to myself My 6x54 ATI through out twice as much light then these so I cranked my Radion's up to 100% for 24hrs and smoked every piece of SPS in my tank. They are very powerful. You just need to do a little homework before you just start placing corals everywhere in your tank.

Hope this helps.

Even advanced coral keepers have a hard time dialing in the led's and placing corals correctly to get the right growth and color. If you are just starting out their is alot of other things(i.e. water chemistry, reasearching what corals/fish can co exist,) that you will need to figure out to get a healthy system going. To make things easier a good t5 system such as ATI or Sunlight suppy is pretty much plug and play..set the timers and dont worry about it ever again and that eliminates having to worry if your lighting is set right or not and you can focus on the other tasks at hand. I have used just about everytype of lighting out there and i personally like t5, i am not knocking anything else, i dont really care what orthers use or dont use but for me i get fantastic growth and color for the corals that i like to keep which are LPS and softies under t5.

I had had LEDs on my tank for 3 months now and all my Softies are growing amazingly fast and the colors are just as amazing, the best thing about LEDs are the life span and the dim ability and the low running costs, i dont think this debate will ever end, (which type of light is the best) debate that is, just my 2 centsgood luck

I love LEDs. I have a 20 lit with them and it looks great and everything seems very happy. I started switching everything into the 54gal under the what was temporary 250w MH and over the past few days my corals look brighter and fatter. My LEDs are a mix of cool white and royal blues, and I'm sure they will work fine for keeping corals. I have a new and fairly empty 54 gallon with lots of frags that I need to grow to fill in, not just survive. With that being said I am sticking with MH over the big tank. Supplemented with LEDs of course :)

So, in looking at these cheaper Ebay fixtures I am debating between 2:

One fixture uses Epistar LEDs and the the spectrums are 440-460 Blue and 12-14k White

The other is the Taotronic fixture that many people have discussed. Their spectrums are 460-470 Blue and 8-10K white.

Can anyone help me with wht the difference is and which one is a better combination. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but the I really have no reference for what the spectrums look like.

Thanks.

I just installed this on my 14g biocube and LOVE it, I have it hooked up to my RKL with white on one controller and blue on the other...I am only running them at 55% and increasing a bit every few days, my corals and clam seem to absolutely love them and the colors are amazing! It is like a new tank and super easy to install!

Back