Orange Spotted AKA Harlaquin Filefish (Oxymonacanthus longirostris)

~Flighty~

Now with more baby
Thought I would start a thread on these guys. I have two now and am looking for a female.

Matt Pedersen has been breeding these fish. The thread is very long (34 pages at this time) but so well done documenting his work with these fish starting with "rescuing" a few from the LFS
http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=1922

and he wrote a comprehensive article for coral magazine
http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/new-future-harlequin-filefish

These fish were once falsely thought to be obligate coral polyp eaters and not keep-able in anything other than huge reef tanks. It seems this misinformation was due to poor collection and handling and is now thought to be false.

I have two males now. Both MAC certified. Both fish are eating both PE Mysis and formula one flake food. I assume they would eat most other foods you could offer. They will eat out of the water column and will eat the food that has landed on the rocks and substrate. Multiple feedings per day are best for these fish, but that is pretty easy with them eating flake. I had no problem getting them on to frozen food. Both seemed as interested in eating as the average newly imported fish. I did nothing special to get them eating. I suspect they are attracted to the red flake food by the color though since they quickly went after that.

They are perfectly comfortable in high or low flow and do not seem to be bothered by moderately aggressive tankmates. They have not bothered any corals in my tank so far, but I make no guarantees on behavior in other tanks. Minimum tank size is not known since they are only recently being kept alive, but my two seem to be doing equally well in a low flow 42 and a high flow 120.

Here is a pic. You can see that he is a male by the brightness of the orange on his bottom fin and the clearness of the white spots down there. Females will have a muddier color on that fin and less distinct spots. The orange on the mostly clear top fin is a sign of a male too.
Edit to add link if the pics are broken
http://picasaweb.google.com/FlightyMail/April2009Pics#
DSC02853.JPG

Here is the recently introduced male. You can see that his belly is very full but he is still pinched and needs to put on fat. It shouldn't take too long at the rate he is eating to get him looking good.
DSC02880.JPG

I hope to acquire a female and set up a breeding pair.

Special thanks to Patrick from Aqua Addicts for ordering these guys for me and putting up with customers scolding him for ordering unkeepable fish. I would have been one of the ones scolding him a few months ago.

Last edited:
Those are awesome looking fish. I know nothing about them really but I will have to do some reading and learn about them.

They don't seem to need big tanks if they eat well. They don't swim around much and have been successfully kept as spawning pairs in as little as 25 gallons. Mine hang out mid to upper level of the tank and stay in a very small area most of the time. From the behavior I see so far it seems like they might be well suited to smaller areas although one key to success seems to be frequent small feedings rather than once a day so nutrients might be an isssue.

I think these are some beautiful fish. Well written by the way, you have convinced me to investigate a little further. I will read the rest of the links you provided tomorrow. Cool pics.

What do you think minimum tank size for a single is? We have two in the shop right now, need to pay attention when feeding them tomorow to see if they eat the brine or not. I am just worried about my polyps. :(

Awesome looking fish!

Didn't Greg Hiller keep one for years?

Awesome info Cindy,
Well documented! and a great looking fish, good luck finding a mate.

One question though, I assume if you are looking for a fem you plan to try to pair them up? Have you given any thought to the "dating" process? I mean will you just tank all 3 and "may the best man win"? :p

What do you think minimum tank size for a single is? We have two in the shop right now, need to pay attention when feeding them tomorow to see if they eat the brine or not. I am just worried about my polyps. :(
Minimum tank size is such a subjective thing and it is hard to make a judgement on a fish that, until a few months ago was thought to only survive in huge tanks. I'll just say that mine seem to stay in one area and not do a lot of swimming and they don't get very large. They do not spend all day looking for pods the way a mandarin or CBB would. I don't see any characteristics that would make me say they need a large tank any more than a firefish, small seahorse or clown pair would, but of course I have not had mine for years.

(I would love to know if you have females or males BTW)

Awesome looking fish!

Didn't Greg Hiller keep one for years?
Gerg kept one long term when there was still a very significant problem in the collection and chain of custody of these fish and his information is sited as an inspiration for the guy who is now breeding them.

Nice fish, photos are nice also.
Thanks. They are hard to get a shot of since they get very excited for food when I get near the tank.

Awesome info Cindy,
Well documented! and a great looking fish, good luck finding a mate.

One question though, I assume if you are looking for a fem you plan to try to pair them up? Have you given any thought to the "dating" process? I mean will you just tank all 3 and "may the best man win"? :p
The word from people making pairs is that males will fight with males and females will fight with females, but they pair up with very little fuss (maybe like seahorses?) when you get a male/female and the time until spawning has been short in some cases.

My two males are in different tanks, but when I got the second, I floated the bag in the same tank for a while and they sure looked like they wanted to fight.

I was following Matt P's breed log and was absolutely fascinated by it over at the mofib, but since the shenanigans over there I feel that im missing out on this information. I have been flirting with the idea of trying my hand at a single filefish in the near future. The are certainly a beautiful species. Best of luck, I will keep my eye out for a female for you.

-Mark

BTW, don't expect Matt to be documenting on MOFIB anymore, there was a hostile takeover of the board and he was strong armed out. There was a series of posts on 3reef iirc documenting it. Its a shame, he is a pioneer with these guys.

Last I read he was going to reevaluate what he was doing, with the possibility of saving it all for a book. But the 3 people whom I followed over there (Umm Fish, Kathyl and Matt) all left after the take over. So with that talent gone, I refuse to even visit the site. I have seen Umm Fish post on RC, but nothing to do with his breeding logs.

Sorry, it wasn't 3reef, it was reefs.org
http://www.reefs.org/forums/topic128192-20.html

Its a shame, he is a wealth of knowledge. He (Matt) would be a fabulous speaker at one of our meetings. (Which I have yet to attend because they always fall on the worst weekends for me)

yup tropic isle has two of these fish and they are absolutely striking fish. The two at tropic isle seem to be pretty skinny, but i dont know what sex they are.

I always wanted one of these guys but always thought I would need a very large tank like Greg's. Thanks for the info.

Back