Overflow Noice Suggestions

It's almost reminds me of a toilet flushing

That is due to a partial siphon being created. You need to optimize the airflow to get rid of it. You can do this by adjusting the vent in the durso, normally means it needs to be a bit larger. I normally drill a large hole through the side of the cap near the bottom so the hole goes through the cap and the pipe that connects it to the T. Then you can twist the cap to make the hole smaller or larger. Just make sure the cap isn't pushed on too tight when you drill through or you won't be able to easily turn it.

The second possible cause is if your drain line is submerged in the sump and has no way of getting rid of air and it builds up in the line. Do you have a reverse durso in the sump or have it draining above the water line?

^^ second on everything mike said :) Sounds like you're close, just need to dial the air flow in just right.

I will enlarge hole in Increments in cap, the water drains well above water Line

Stay tuned and thanks again

I believe I've achieved success, I opened up the hole in my durso and increased flow thru my returns, after an hour nice and quiet and no partial siphon

I think I'm about ready to start stocking

Great many thanks for all the help especially John K & Mike G.

I believe I've achieved success, I opened up the hole in my durso and increased flow thru my returns, after an hour nice and quiet and no partial siphon

I think I'm about ready to start stocking

Great many thanks for all the help especially John K & Mike G.

Glad we could get you on the right track, can be frustrating!

Ok I more question After turning down the sox game and listening for awhile is there a way of quieting the water filling up the overflow?

Make overall height of standpipe shorter within overflow?

No taller, the higher it is the higher the water level in the box. This will give the water a shorter distance to fall and be a bit more quiet. How low is the water in the overflow now compared to the height of the overflow box?

Ok I think I got it - I will try raising the height of durso - water level in overflow approx 2 inches below water leverl in tank maybe more

Well I raised the height of the durso and the waterfall noise has subsided
does it matter if water level in overflow is about the same as display?
also think I created a new problem with micro bubbles entering from sump but I believe I know why and this will be rectified over the weekend

think I'm good now

Is it ok that water level in overflow is about the same as display? Or is it a recipe for future disaster?

I would always try to have the level at least a little lower in the overflow box. One good reason is for the surface skimming, if they are at the same level, the film on the top of the water isn't as effectively removed. Also if the level in the skimmer bow raises at all for any reason, it will also now raise the level in the display because these will stay level if the overflow box is no longer dictating the height. Sounds like you raised it about an inch too high in my opinion. You seem to be having some bad luck dialing this all in, hopefully it will go smooth from here!

Back