Overflow Noice Suggestions

yeah its kinda deep & hollow but at the moment very quiet even the wife commented on that, going to shut it down because not real confident in letting it run overnight,plan on running it all day saturday while I watch and see what happens, was think of replacing drip box with 20 gallon high version and replacing rigid pvc in cellar to spa flex

Hope I meet you someday possibly at a meeting -feel like I owe you at least a beer or 2 - To be continued

I was about to offer to stop by sometime and try to help troubleshoot :)

I wouldn't shut the tank down for the night though, just open the valve back up and live with the noise a little longer.

"deep & hollow", I think it's related to the amount of gravity suck your getting from the long straight drop, and that noise is resonating in the pipe. Hmmm, this is an interesting challenge.....

I would always welcome a visit from anyone more experienced than myself with a stocked fridge and I've followed many of your posts so I know you know your stuff also saw your presentation at the DIY meeting a while ago I believe working with acrylic - the tank currently has no livestock in it so shutting it down won't hurt anyone

"deep & hollow", I think it's related to the amount of gravity suck your getting from the long straight drop, and that noise is resonating in the pipe. Hmmm, this is an interesting challenge.....

This is exactly the same thing I have. I have not been able to solve it either but I believe it is because my drain pipes an bulkheads are WAY oversized. Sounds like you may have a similar issue, the durso is meant to be a modified broken siphon. The siphon allows for the noise dampening effect. In my case, and sounds like your case, I get less siphon and more of water dropping down spa flex to a basement sump which causes the rumble.

I've even gone as far as adding insulation around my drains to act as sound proofing. Didn't do enough so I removed it.

Bottom line is I made the drains large on purpose, and now the increased noise level is the trade off I live with for a drain that can never clog or fail. Its not bad, but does sound like a small HGTV water feature in my living room which I kind of like to be honest. Lets me know that the tank is running therefore all is right with the world.

I was thinking of redoing my drain line and right after it goes thru floor to cellar putting a T and then spaflex to 2 bulkhead into drip box, that should at least slow down drop of water on my straightline drain.

I'm kind of puzzled really. Where are all the locals with basement sumps hiding?

Hey Mike, I have my basement sump and its super quiet. Start by getting rid of the hard pvc and use spa flex, I had all hard pipe on mine and it was super loud. After you change the hardpipe run your spaflex to your sump, and the put a reverse durso before it enters your sump. then put a t or a elbow at the end of the spaflex in your sump to help with bubbles. I think this has been said already but it has made my system completly silent....... Wife Approved :) Ill send you my cell# , maybe I can come by to help you......

Huh... the reverse Durso didn't help my noise rumble and I have spa flex (2") too (approx 9 ft run/drop to the basement). I'm gonna have to play with this one again. It DID fix noise on my last tank (90g) but that did not have a basement sump.

gonorth?

Does your spaflex drop straight down, or is there a bit of an angle to it?

^ I bet that angle might be a key factor. Laminar flow along one side of the pipe insted of a swirling bubbling cyclone of water going straight down.

What do you think?

^ I bet that angle might be a key factor. Laminar flow along one side of the pipe insted of a swirling bubbling cyclone of water going straight down.

What do you think?

Yes john totally agree, I did have the spa flex running straight down to the basement and it was loud( regardeless of amount of flow). So what I did was about 8" from the overflow on back of the tank I started wth the spaflex and ran it slightly at a right angle and then a slight 45degree sweep before it goes thru my floor. Also I should also metion that my overflow is 1" and I used 1-1/2 in spa flx.

What about introducing an angle into the drain instead of dropping straight down? My basement sump drain runs about 8' horizontally and is pretty quiet. Right after it comes through the floor can you have it turn and run more horizontally and then turn it again to come back to the sump? Can the sump be positioned anywhere else so it is not a direct vertical drop? I tend to think it is the vertical fall as well however I have seen a tank that dropped 3 stories almost straight down and they were able to get it quiet (Rebecca's tank (reefnroll))

That sounds like the solution to angle it somehow- will work to do this but might be a little while

THANKS FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS

So I changed out my straight shot PVC with spa flex and angled it a little and it seems to have cut down on noice level. I wanted to create more flow thru my returns so I opened up the gate valve on pump feeding returns and at first seemed good. But I notice every minute or so it stops draining,water in overflow goes down but almost instantly goes back up and starts draining again. DO I need to make air vent hole in durso bigger to keep this from happening?

Back