PacificSun LED Modules? (Group Buy at Manhattan Reefs)

I would go with the other module.. i think reefgeek or premiums sells them.. the other ones i've heard of and seen alot of builds.. a little pricey but i have never seen a bad word written about them

after just reading that thread a little bit.. go with those lol

3 year warranty.. amazing

Last edited:
I don't know but they sound cool and they aren't expensive. But it says a 120w is perfect for a 90 gallon tank. Unless I misread the dimensions, a 120w is only 16" long. Can't see how that would cover a 4 foot tank. Interesting to learn more though.

I'm not terribly interested in getting an LED module/fixture just yet. I was just wondering if anyone had heard of this brand before. Apparently the owner, who is also an LFS in Poland (not local to us ;)) has been using them on his store tanks for awhile.

Yeah, the coverage doesn't add up to me either. I hoping that someone with a little bit of expertise in this field will chime in.

The price is right, maybe too right. At first I thought that these modules would be a lower cost LED option. But now it sounds as though it will be priced higher once the group buy is over and taxes, tarriffs, etc. are figured in.

The money back guarantee (shipping included, IIRC), within 30 days if not satisfied, says one of two things:

1. This product is legit and the owner knows it. Or...

B. This product is dooky and the owner is out of his gourd.

;)

One of the posts from the vendor says this

"If you are not growing lots of SPS, I would say that the 120W unit would suffice. If you want similar coverage to the 2x250x HQI, I would say go with 2 120W units.

The 120W unit is equivalent to 1 400W HQI but doesn't have the spread coverage of 2 2x250"
So I would need two units for my 90 because I prefer SPS.

Build your own fixture. Its easy, fun and alot cheaper than buying a premade one. Their some really good components out there to use.

Yeah no doubt.

But you could DIY a much more powerful LED fixture that would cover the entire length of your tank for the discounted cost of a 300w pacificsun.

Okay definitely off topic.. but whats the point of the heat sink. Do you just like weld it onto the flat side or the ribbed side?

it acts like a radiator. you weld the flat side to whatever you want to cool down. more surface area means more cooling.

Okay definitely off topic.. but whats the point of the heat sink. Do you just like weld it onto the flat side or the ribbed side?

Like a computer processor the surface of an LED will get hot, by mounting the backside of one to a heatsink it will transfer heat away from it thus keeping it cool.

Here's how they mount to a heatsink... It is best to use some thermal paste inbetween the backside of the LED and the flat side of heatsink, this will aid in better heat transfer.

assembledlights.jpg

wiredup.jpg

Back