painted live rock?????

gonorth16

Non-member
Hi all, my friends brother gave me about 30 lbs of rock that he bought from oceans in glass . After looking at the rock It looks painted to me? The rock is purple and pink but its not coraline. Is this safe for a reef tank? Will the paint come off eventually? He paid a lot for this rock as its advertised as live premium rock. Any input would help.... wanna put it in my frag tank and sump. Thanks, Peter

I was in there, its suppose to be handmade rock, not natural. They said that supposidly it can go dry and still hold the bacteria, I forget the name of it though.... its not real rock, hence its alot light than normal too

Yeah that is a new trend painted rocks.lazy mans coralline algae seems like it would defeat the purpose of the live rock by sealing up the the little pores and cavities.cant really believe it but i have seen it in a bunch of stores.Any thing i have ever seen painted and put in a tank after a few weeks you can actually see the raspy marks from snails cleaning the painted surface so there must be some paint removal/ingestion so i would have to vote no i would not use it at all

Back