Painting Question

Andy V

Non-member
I will be painting the room that my tank is in this week. It is a 800 sq foot room, so it's fairly large. Because the room is so large, I don't think the fumes will be that strong. My question is, what precautions do I have to take, besides not getting paint in the tank? Will the fumes exchange with the water and kill everything? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Either turn off your skimmer, or if it has a separate airline, run it outside of possible. That way your not injecting the fumes from the room into the tank. If your running open top, it may be a good idea to throw some heavy blankets over the tank.

I am running the JBJ HQI nano cube. It has an integrated canopy and the only place the water is exposed is in the built in overflow in the back. Should I just shut off the skimmer or all pumps and filtration?

Not only am I a reefer but also a painter. Theres nothing to worry about as far as fumes. Just cover the tank with the plastic drop cloths from any paint store or H.D. or Lowes, this will help protect from any dust from sanding patches or sanding the walls. Then use a reg. drop cloth for protection against drips and sprits from the roller. Your main worry is dust, you dont want J.C. (joint compound or spackle) dust to get into your system, but Fumes are not a problem, even if you are using an oil finish on the trim there will be no issues with fumes. Happy painting!!

Not only am I a reefer but also a painter. Theres nothing to worry about as far as fumes. Just cover the tank with the plastic drop cloths from any paint store or H.D. or Lowes, this will help protect from any dust from sanding patches or sanding the walls. Then use a reg. drop cloth for protection against drips and sprits from the roller. Your main worry is dust, you dont want J.C. (joint compound or spackle) dust to get into your system, but Fumes are not a problem, even if you are using an oil finish on the trim there will be no issues with fumes. Happy painting!!

Thanks a lot. Simple enough then I guess. That's how I like it.

Back