Paul B's thread

They finally awarded this Hero the Medal of Honor for what he did 55 years ago.​

These Cobra Gunships saved me quite a few times and they are awesome, I can't say enough about them. There is no almost place on them for a man to hold on to and I never saw them rescue men like that, but I think it's great. They are 2 man craft brimming with mini guns, missiles, automatic grenade launchers and machine guns. No place inside for more than the 2 man crew.

Helicopter pilot receives Medal of Honor for daring rescue during Vietnam War​

CNN
HALEY BRITZKY, CNN
September 5, 2023 at 4:04 PM
It wasn’t until after Army Capt. Larry Taylor had picked up four of his fellow soldiers during a raging firefight in Vietnam – the men clinging onto the outside of his helicopter, as there wasn’t room inside – that he realized he had to figure out where to take them.
It was June 18, 1968, and then-1st Lt. Taylor and his copilot had been called out in their AH-1G Cobra helicopter to rescue a four-man long-range reconnaissance patrol team who were pinned down by the enemy, with seemingly no way out.
“My copilot says, ‘Sir, now that we’ve got ‘em, what the heck are we going to do with them?’” Taylor recounted to reporters last week. “I said, I don’t know, I didn’t think that far ahead.”
In a matter of moments, Taylor decided to drop them at a nearby water treatment plant where other Americans were waiting on the ground.
“We took them down there and I landed, and I left my wide landing lights on and so the four of them ran out in front of the helicopter and then they turned around and lined up, all four of them, saluted, and then ran for the lights,” Taylor said.
Now, 55 years after that harrowing evening in Vietnam, Taylor received the Medal of Honor – the nation’s highest military award – from President Joe Biden at the White House on Tuesday for his heroism.
“The Medal of Honor is our nation’s oldest and highest recognition of valor. Now when I called Larry to let him know he finally was receiving this recognition, his response was, ‘I thought you had to do something to receive the Medal of Honor?’ … Well Larry, you sure as hell did something, man,” Biden said at a ceremony on Tuesday. “If you ask anyone here, I’m pretty sure they’d say you did something extraordinary.”

But for Taylor, who received dozens of combat awards and flew over 2,000 combat missions during his time in the military, his actions that night in 1968 weren’t anything particularly special.
“I was doing my job,” he said matter-of-factly. “And I knew that if I didn’t go down and get them, they wouldn’t like it.”

‘And the fight was on’​

Taylor, born in Tennessee in 1942, joined the Army Reserve Officer Training Program while attending the University of Tennessee. He was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the Army Reserve in June 1966, according to his biography, and joined the active-duty Army in August that year as an armor officer.
It wasn’t long before Taylor realized he’d rather be an aviation officer than an armor officer – partly because of what was unfolding in Vietnam. If the option was between being on the ground, where troops were being bombarded with gunfire and mortars constantly, or in the sky with rockets and thousands of rounds of ammunition, the choice was clear.
“You can kick some butt,” Taylor said of being in the Cobra. “So, yeah, I’d rather be an butt-kicker than to have my butt kicked.”
Taylor’s biography says that throughout his 2,000 combat missions in UH-1 and Cobra helicopters, he was forced down five times and engaged by enemy fire 340 times. He earned at least 50 combat decorations – by his count, around 60 – including 43 Air Medals, a Bronze Star, two Distinguished Flying Crosses, and the Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Bronze Star.
Capt. Larry L. Taylor assumed command of one of the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment's combat engineer companies in Nuremberg, West Germany.  - Courtesy Kyle Holden/US Army's combat engineer companies in Nuremberg, West Germany.  - Courtesy Kyle Holden/US Army

Capt. Larry L. Taylor assumed command of one of the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment's combat engineer companies in Nuremberg, West Germany. - Courtesy Kyle Holden/US Army
David Hill, who was one of the soldiers Taylor rescued, explained that on the night of Taylor’s heroic actions, he and his three teammates had been assigned an area reconnaissance mission. Typically, Hill said, they would have been inserted into the jungle by helicopter, but this was “an entirely flat rice paddy area.”
Advertisement

Being dropped in by helicopter would have blown their mission, he said, so instead they walked. The goal was to observe any enemy troop movements, so when the evening was almost completely dark, Hill said they walked out of the wood line to set up their position. But before they could, they were surrounded by enemy troops.
“The plan changed, and now was a matter of not escaping but having to fight it out right there,” Hill said.
As the four-man team was preparing to fight, they were simultaneously calling back to the forward operating base for help. The call went out for air support – and Taylor answered. Within two minutes, Hill said, Taylor and his co-pilot had strapped in and taken off, heading towards Hill and his men.
Taylor explained that from his perspective, the night was so dark he wasn’t sure he’d be able to find the troops on the ground. He used his radio to coordinate the rescue, telling the men on the ground to drop flares to help guide him in. As soon as they popped the flares, Hill recalled, “all hell broke loose.”
“Obviously we gave away our position, but we knew we would be discovered at some point anyway because we were surrounded,” Hill said. “And the fight was on.”
The White House announcement describes how Taylor and his wingman “strafed the enemy with mini-guns and aerial rockets,” and “continued to make low-level attack runs for the next 45 minutes.” He learned that the rescue attempt by another helicopter had been canceled, according to the White House release, because “it stood almost no chance of success.”
Biden, recounting the fight on Tuesday, said Taylor’s helicopter was taking fire from the enemy when he learned the rescue helicopter wasn’t coming.
“He kept trying to radio for rescue knowing that he and his men were almost out of time and ammunition. On his last try, he learned that any attempt to save the men had been called off, the rescue helicopter was not coming. Instead, Lt. Taylor received a director order: Return to base,” Biden said. “His response was just as direct: I’m getting my men out.”
Taylor’s rescue attempt was “a feat that had never been accomplished or even attempted,” the White House announcement said.
Taylor told reporters that as soon as a soldier on the ground radioed up that his helicopter was over their position, he “plopped it on the ground.”
“I didn’t have to tell them to get on,” he said. But the helicopters size – a two-person aircraft – meant the soldiers would have to secure themselves to the outside.
“I finally flew up behind them and sat down on the ground, and they turned around and jumped on the aircraft – a couple were sitting on the skids, one was sitting on the rocket pods, and I don’t know where the other one was but they beat on the side of the ship twice, which meant, ‘Haul butt,’” Taylor said. “And we did.”
In retrospect, Taylor said they were all coming up with what to do next on the fly. There’s “nothing in the book that says how to do that,” he said.
“I think about 90% of flying a helicopter in Vietnam was making it up as you go along,” he said. “Nobody could criticize you because they couldn’t do it any better than you did and they didn’t know what you were doing anyway.”
But it must have worked, he added, because throughout his thousands of combat missions, “we never lost a man.”
I read this article on another site. I'm glad that they are honoring him for what he did. It was extremely heroic. I dont understand why it took so long to recognize this. So many of our Armed forces lay down their lives for us to live as we do.

Thank you for your service and all that served as you did!

I also don't understand why it took all these years to honor a hero.

I love those Cobra pilots. You can see one coming in low on one of the LZs I was on. It is near the right in back and they helped us many times and many of us would not be here if it were not for them.
Most Americans don't understand what it means to land under extreme fire like that. It is almost suicidal as helicopters are fragile and not bulletproof.

This Friday is our 50th wedding anniversary. A few months ago we took the family to Bermuda on a cruise and I thought on the actual day we would have a peaceful day. Nope. We have to go to a Sweet 16 party on Jones Beach here on Long Island which is probably one of the biggest beaches in the world but of course the party is inside a place on the beach. It ends at midnight.

At 16 I don't think I even knew what midnight was. The place is an hour and a half from here and my Kids and Grand Kids are coming over after the party to spend the night.

I have to throw them out the next day because I have plans and am taking my wife out along with 3 other couples but she doesn't know about all that. :)

This is her when I married her when she was 18

Last edited:
This morning about 6:00 I went for my normal walk. It was still dark. A small white van pulled next to me and opened his window. I didn't see a gun or political poster so I assumed it was safe to go up to this vehicle.

There was a guy inside, not dirtbag looking and he looked at me and said in very broken English:
"Can I Help?" . I said "Help with what?" So he said: "Are you training?" and he raised his arms like he was lifting weights.

I said: "Yes, training, Eye of the Tiger and all that", and I lifted my arms like Rocky did in his movie when he ran to the top of the stairs.

The guy looked at me kind of weird and just drove away.

I assume he figured I was lost or my wife threw me out and I was rushing to get away.
But it's nice to know there are people around that still want to help you.

Morning.jpeg

On Friday we went to a Sweet 16 party for my wife's cousins niece. It was in a beautiful and old place called Gatsby's on Jones Beach right on the water. The place was originally opened in 1931 so it is all Art Deco and used to be for the rich and famous. (Like Humble)

www.ediblelongisland.com

Gatsby on the Ocean Brings Decadence Back to Jones Beach

Gatsby on the Ocean has opened at Jones Beach. The beautiful restaurant and wedding venue has restored some of the beach's early glamour.
www.ediblelongisland.com
www.ediblelongisland.com

Right next to it is the Jones Beach pool where I used to go when I was very young.

Anyway the party which of course had mostly 16 year olds was way to noisy for my almost 75 year old ears so I brought ear plugs although in my life I went to many such parties with no problems. (Maybe thats why my ears are so delicate now. That and being attached to a field artillery battery in Viet Nam)

Even though my wife can't really walk (MS) she got up in the action. Shes in the center.

Dale Dancing.jpeg

On Friday we went to a Sweet 16 party for my wife's cousins niece. It was in a beautiful and old place called Gatsby's on Jones Beach right on the water. The place was originally opened in 1931 so it is all Art Deco and used to be for the rich and famous. (Like Humble)

www.ediblelongisland.com

Gatsby on the Ocean Brings Decadence Back to Jones Beach

Gatsby on the Ocean has opened at Jones Beach. The beautiful restaurant and wedding venue has restored some of the beach's early glamour.
www.ediblelongisland.com
www.ediblelongisland.com

Right next to it is the Jones Beach pool where I used to go when I was very young.

Anyway the party which of course had mostly 16 year olds was way to noisy for my almost 75 year old ears so I brought ear plugs although in my life I went to many such parties with no problems. (Maybe thats why my ears are so delicate now. That and being attached to a field artillery battery in Viet Nam)

Even though my wife can't really walk (MS) she got up in the action. Shes in the center.

View attachment 198159
Looks like great time was had, thanks for sharing Paul.

This morning about 6:00 I went for my normal walk. It was still dark. A small white van pulled next to me and opened his window. I didn't see a gun or political poster so I assumed it was safe to go up to this vehicle.

There was a guy inside, not dirtbag looking and he looked at me and said in very broken English:
"Can I Help?" . I said "Help with what?" So he said: "Are you training?" and he raised his arms like he was lifting weights.

I said: "Yes, training, Eye of the Tiger and all that", and I lifted my arms like Rocky did in his movie when he ran to the top of the stairs.

The guy looked at me kind of weird and just drove away.

I assume he figured I was lost or my wife threw me out and I was rushing to get away.
But it's nice to know there are people around that still want to help you.

View attachment 198158
No candy this time?

My skimmer for some reason can't contain itself. I am not sure why but this has been happening for 2 weeks.
IMG_1623.JPG

I am sure I posted this somewhere on here so if I did, just ignore it and eat some broccoli rob :p

Want Healthy, Spawning Fish? Feed Them Properly!
March 20, 2015 by Paul Baldassano
Feeding fish in your saltwater aquarium

Feed your fish. They are hungry. That may sound obvious, but most fish in captivity are starving to death because we are so fixated on water parameters. It’s fine to worry about water parameters, but you still need to feed your fish. Yes, water parameters are important and it’s fine to worry about them, but if you want to keep fish along with your corals, they need to eat correctly. You can deal with the corals later.
They’re fish, not iguanas!
Most of us are spending so much time trying to keep those colorful corals that we forget about our fish. If your fish are not spawning or looking like they want to spawn, they are hungry or not getting the correct food. Flakes, pellets, and lettuce are not the correct food unless you have an iguana. Iguana’s love lettuce and maybe flakes, but I am speculating.
Of groupers and moose
After you feed your fish, feed them again because in the sea, fish eat all day long—or at least they try. I know most of us can sit down to a big meal of pasta, meatballs, mozzarella, nice crusty bread, and maybe a beer or two, and that will fill us up for a few hours. I also realize some people can eat that four or five times a day. Those people don’t own a mirror…or a scale. But most fish don’t have the type of stomach that can store huge amounts of food unless they are some type of grouper. Groupers can eat a moose (a small one) and be fine for a week until another moose comes along—though they do sometimes have trouble with those antlers!
[Editor’s note: Please don’t feed moose…mooses?…to your grouper! Keep in mind that PaulB sent this disturbing post from his padded cell at the institution, where he’s not allowed sharp objects.]
Aside from groupers, the majority of fish need to eat several times a day, but if we feed them correctly, they can get along on one meal a day. However, if they are going to eat only one meal, make it a good one. Forget about the silly water parameters and feed the fish. If the parameters are screwed up, change the water or take up golf. First think about getting the nutrition into your fish, then, if you have time, worry about the water quality because most of your fish can’t read the test kits anyway. I don’t even have test kits, but that’s just me.
Underfed fish get sick!
If your fish ever get sick or exhibit spots, they are not being fed well. Okay, stop laughing unless you have been keeping fish longer than I have (if you have, you may also know Noah, as he and I started in the hobby together by scraping barnacles from beneath the Ark). Fish that are fed correctly do not get sick—okay, maybe the occasional headache or the “heartbreak of psoriasis,” but that’s it. The immune system of spawning fish is so powerful that it will repel and kill parasites, flukes, flounders, and just about everything else. Don’t believe me? Feed your fish anyway.
The Soupy Sales system
Properly fed fish will be in spawning condition

Do you quarantine? Okay, that’s up to you, but even if you do, you still want your fish to be immune from just about all illnesses just in case your quarantining procedures were designed by Soupy Sales. Don’t know who he is? Google him.
There is a reason I have never posted on any disease forums. Well, I did have that shoulder operation, but I am talking about fish disease forums. My fish don’t get sick. No, never. I don’t mean in the last six weeks or even six years. I am talking decades. A decade is ten years. I do have some medications that I have not used in many years. The label on one reads, “Keep in a cool chariot.” That’s how old they are. I also have a hospital tank. It was made out of the right front fender of a 1955 Oldsmobile, and that was the last time I needed it. One of my fish was sick, but he got over his headache the next day.
Blackworms, clams, and more moose (moosen? meese?)
How is it possible that my fish never get sick? Because I feed them correctly and often. What do I feed them? Live blackworms and clams. Except for the pipefish, who order takeout, that’s about it.
Why worms and clams? Good question! Because worms and clams are a whole food. By “whole,” I mean all the parts of the animal are in there, not just the muscle like you are feeding when you give your fish squid, shrimp, octopus, or scallop. Those foods are fine for you to eat but not your fish. They need guts. Even when a grouper eats a moose, it eats the entire moose. When a great white shark eats an accountant who is at a convention in Hawaii, it eats the entire accountant, including his pocket protector and glasses. It doesn’t even spit out the bones. When a fish eats another fish, did you ever see it spit out the bones, scales, ears, or eyelashes? I didn’t think so because a fish needs all the parts of its prey, not just the muscle. Besides accountants don’t usually have much muscle to begin with.
So to sum up, feed the fish correctly and then think about water parameters. If you want really beautiful coral, keep fewer fish, but feed them correctly.

Notice the growth on my rocks. Many people won't like this but it means health. There is no need to feed mandarins and other small fish if the rocks look like this. Pods love living in this mess and look at all the spaghitti worms. They may be linguine worms. I don't know.

I have been having some back pain for a number of years, I don't remember the number, but since my replacement shoulder it has gotten much worse. Standing, sitting, laying or breathing is very painful so I have to avoid those things. Maybe when he cut out my old shoulder bone he dropped a hack saw blade in there and it fell down to my back. I don't know. :confused:

But the pain has gotten much worse and I have trouble lifting a very pregnant mandarin out of the tank with a net. If they aren't pregnant, I don't have much of a problem. :oops:

So my pain management Doctor sent me for an MRI. It didn't come out well and the MRI technician thought she spilled coffee or balsamic vinegar on her screen. o_O

I have a bunch of disks that are all screwed up so she thought she was looking at a MRI of a Nautilus shell. One disk is completely missing. I don't remember it falling out and I think I would have heard it hit the ground but it is gone and the spine there is bone on bone and the disk above that slid forward pinching another nerve.
This often happens on studley looking Manly men.

She told me and my wife "This is a very painful condition". I said "Really! I haven't noticed!" :rolleyes:

There is no cure except surgery may help for a while or I can just walk like a snail. They can possibly replace the disk. If I have to do this, to save money I will give them a roll of electrical tape to use for the disk. Of course I will give them a "new" roll of tape in the container, I don't want to look cheap.

But before any of that happens, first she will inject some temporary pain meds in my spine for a test. I figure "Prizapro" or "Preparation H." :sick:

Then if that allows the pain to subside a little she will go in and do an ablation or burn the nerves. I don't think she uses a propane torch or one of those things you use to light candles with, I think it's more like radiation.

In the meantime she is giving me some pain medication that you stick inside your cheek. (I never heard of this one). They do that because if you swallow it, it will turn your stomach into a jellyfish looking substance and no one wants that.

So I will see what happens.

Then if that allows the pain to subside a little she will go in and do an ablation or burn the nerves.
The radial frequency ablation works for a bit but the nerve ending grow back in 8-12 months. Good luck Paul, I've been going through it for the past 5 years in November.

Paul, If they do surgery, it will be my 34th surgery. I think I am up to my quota by now. :cool:

My wife has some disks fused together so she has trouble dancing the Twist now. :confused:

I just fed my fish a magnum load of live whiteworms. For some reason, they bred like crazy and I got millions of them. But I didn't count them. My fish are smiling from gill to gill. :p

So yesterday my wife tells me we are going to the library for some type of event with our friends next door. Our library sometimes has some interesting things and shows so we go. We walk in and they give us this brochure with a picture of this nice-looking woman on it and she is a Medium. I see now why my wife didn't tell me what we were going to see because she knows I believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny more than I believe in mediums. :confused:

The woman walks out and she seems to be about 60 so it didn't take me long to figure out that that was her high school graduation picture.
So she goes into her spiel for 25 minutes about all her education and how she was a lawyer and what schools she went to like I care.

Then she says she is an animal lover and has a bunch of cats and dogs but no fish. I figure I would ty to have an open mind as I realize many people believe in this nonsense, I mean this ability to talk to dead people. So, as I am listening, she says she can also communicate with her dead dogs and cats. Now she lost me. I started thinking about the conversations she is having with her dead cats. :(

Did the cat say: Hey crazy lady, remember when you wrapped me up nice and snug and took me to the Vet where he put me to sleep? Then I woke up with this huge pain between my hind legs! Do you remember that? I used to walk past a cute cat and want to put my moves on her, now I look at another cat and just long for Kibbles and Bits. By the way, what are those bits?

How would you like to wake up with that pain, then be thrown out in the street naked and the only thing you long for is dead fish that was put in a can 5 years before you were born?

I could imagine someone who lost a copperband butterfly and a week later the fish contacted the person yelling about how they were so mad in quarantine especially when they were dosed with copper, Prizapro and dipped in tree stump remover because you saw a spot.

The woman was droning on and on and a few smarter people started to leave. I myself walked out for a while and fell asleep behind some dusty books in the corner of the room where they have books on torture chambers..

I came back in and the Median was "Reading" people. She picked on this elderly woman in front of me and asked if she lost her husband. The Lady said, No. Then she said, I know your Husband was tall. The Lady said, No, he was short. She said I am pretty sure your husband died because I can see him. He is here with us. The Lady said, No, he's alive but my Son died. :oops:

The medium said Oh, I can see him. He had a heart attack. the Lady said, No. He drowned. Well, either way, his heart stopped. The Lady said, yes, I guess that is correct.

Then the Medium said there is this little boy who stays with her. He is with her now standing right next to her. But "most" people can't see him. I'm sure "most" people can't see him. I have a Supermodel who usually stands next to me but I have never seen her and most people can't see her either.

So this went on for an hour and I was looking for some crazy glue to keep my eyes open. I kept looking around the room to see if there was anything that I could bash myself in the head with because I figured if I croaked, I could contact this woman and the little boy standing next to so I could tell her not to give up her day job.

In the corner I saw an American Flag and figured I could put the point on the top through my neck but there was no point on the flag, it was an eagle. I would have smashed it into my head but then I figured it might be made of plastic and that would just chip my tooth and I already have a mouth full of very expensive implants.

You can't make this stuff up. :cool:

Back