Paul's' new build..

I would say test for copper too. Copper is deadly to inverts. If you had a break in a wire, I would say that copper may have been more of a factor than voltage. From what I understand, if you don't have a ground rod installed, that would be voltage potential. The animals would be none the wiser until a path to ground occurred. Test for copper.

Now I think about it Paul that Tunze was not running the day we put the new tank in place. Once you moved it a bit and it came back on.
I would also break out the multi meter and test each individual item in the tank to see if anything else may be having issue.

It is a problem when you are in the hobby a long time I have pumps in tat have been in service for over 10.

I have been running all types of fresh carbon 24/7 for the past two weeks. I change it every morning. I am also using seachem Purigen and Prime. I think I've changed 200 gals of water. So far all to no avail. The water changes seem to make the anemone worse or perhaps the damage is irreversible. Oddly my elegance coral is fine. I think I've done just about everything I can do.

What a huge bummer! Damn, Paul. Not sure what to say. If I had cool corals I'd gladly donate.

Paul,

Sorry to hear about the problems. Copper is indeed likely the problem. You might want to consider a polypad, or whatever those things are called. All submerged electrical devices in tanks always worry me. Whenever possible I try to keep them close to the top of the tank to minimize the amount of cord in the water, and if at all possible try to reinforce the electrical cords. The plastic always gets stiff, inflexible and prone to cracking in time with exposure to saltwater.

Not all that surprised that the Elegance is surviving. Well established Elegance corals seem to be quite indestructible, which is why they were always the recommended 1st coral way back in the day. I recently had a tank overheat for several weeks due to not turning on a fan (my negligence) and the Elegance survive through the whole thing.

I'm using Seachems Cuprisorb. It will supposedly pull all heavy metals out of the water. I couldn't find a Polyfilter anywhere. If I had known about the pump earlier I could have intervened more effectively. I have been running the diatom filter with daily changed fresh norit carbon from the beginning. It must have removed some of it. Right now I'm still trying to save the anemones and the tank is covered with dinos:( There are a few sps survivors. There are two good sized but bleached colonies of aqua stylo, a small pink birdsnest, a bird of paradise birdsnest and a small frag of aussie green acro with red polyps. It's going to take a while to rise from the ashes of this mishap.

It's been a month and I think I finally have things back under control. The dinos are almost gone and the cyano is on it's way out too. I still don't know if the anemones are going to make it. They are no worse, but no better either. The merlina fan gorgonian has not opened at all and I fear I might lose it if it doesn't soon. Algae is starting to grow on it and that is the kiss of death for gorgs. I bought some test acros and stoneys last week and they all are doing well, so the water quality is back to normal. Here is a pic of how is looks now.
mini-IMG_3472.JPG

Amazing! I cannot wait to see this one up close and personal.

More so, I hope you are content with the outcome.

I like the new aquascape very much, particularly the arch. It's very open. It is so barren though without the corals I'm used to.

Nice , I am getting ready to start a build real soon , was thinking a 180 , but if I can find something bigger for the cheap I might go that route . not going to rush this one . remodelling a whole room for it

Give it time.

"From the ashes rises greatness" or something like that.

Now that you are just about done.

Come over and set mine up.
I like the new aquascape very much, particularly the arch. It's very open. It is so barren though without the corals I'm used to.

Its amazing that your tank after all its been through, all the corals dying off, and problems u ran into, you still have the most gorgeous tank i have ever seen. Lol. You are a trooper Paul. I cant wait to come see it again. I have a big chunk of your old bird of paradise too if u want it. I can split it right down the middle if u want.

Its amazing that your tank after all its been through, all the corals dying off, and problems u ran into, you still have the most gorgeous tank i have ever seen. Lol. You are a trooper Paul. I cant wait to come see it again. I have a big chunk of your old bird of paradise too if u want it. I can split it right down the middle if u want.

Alex, I have a small piece of bird of paradise that survived the disaster. A small pink birdsnest also survived. They must be extra hardy. Thanks though:)

Back