Paul's' new build..

Of the 2 I'm betting the one hanging on is the one with the little bit of streamer, correct? When the parasite sheds he might grab some food. Good luck

Your right. That's the one. I'm embarrassed by my lack of knowledge of fish disease. I don't know anything about ick because I've never seen it in any of my tanks. It must have been there at some point in time. After some reading I found out that it takes 3 days after exposure for a fish to show symptoms and about 5 after exposure for the fish to die. There is no possible way they could have got it from my tank.

Not to mention that with an outbreak that significant. It's not as if they got in your tank and showed a spot or 2. It is a massive outbreak.

Now to keep an eye on your other fish. They are all pretty happy and healthy so will likely not bother them too much.
I know it is in my tank but have not seen a single spot in years.

Not to mention that with an outbreak that significant. It's not as if they got in your tank and showed a spot or 2. It is a massive outbreak.

Now to keep an eye on your other fish. They are all pretty happy and healthy so will likely not bother them too much.
I know it is in my tank but have not seen a single spot in years.

The vendor refuses to admit the fish were infected upon delivery. He won't even address the fishes ematiated condition with the ribs and spine showing. I sent him a pic! I might have to threaten to post them. A pictures worth a thousand words. I told him something was wrong with his quarantine and treatment procedure and he should warn his other customers who bought the fish. He is adamant that they were clean. I almost wish he was right because I wouldn't have to worry about my other fish who would appear to be immune.

If you manage to keep that fish alive through an Ich outbreak you are doing great . I have a hard time with fish diseases . I am used to treating them in tank from when I did freshwater . Glad you got your refund

The parasites dropped off by the second day which confuses me. From what I've read it takes 5 days on the fish for them to reach maturity. It doesn't matter really because it's dying of starvation. It will be gone soon.

Awesome!

I was riveted to see where this was going to go.

It wasn't the ick that got me the refund. It was the ematiated conditon of the fish. When I got home after the meeting I got a good pic of the two fish swimming next to each other. They looked like death and you could see their ribs, spine and sunken stomachs. Supposedly they had been eating in captivity for weeks. He couldn't deny their condition and had to give me the refund.

Paul you have been through so much the fact you continue shows your strength. But than again after such a long time in the hobby it becomes a way of life not a hobby.

A quick recap of the past 7 months....

1.Old tank failing, new tank installed
2.New tank doesn't have the right number of bulkeads drilled. Greg fixes it.
3.Tunze pump shorts out, think it poisons water
4 Almost all livestock dies
5 Main pump bearings making noise-replace with new reeflow motor
6 Dialyseas breaks and cannot be fixed- replaced with genesis water system
7 Most new frags die from unknown cause. Effect lasts for about three and a half months
8 Exhaust fan above sump breaks
9 Co2 regulator stops working. Replaced with Carbon Doser
10 Carbon Doser breaks after 3 months use- under warranty thank God
11 One Hydra 52 breaks. AI sends a new board. Doesn't fix the problem. Another new board and all new LEDs finally fixes it.
12 AI Director fails. No light control for 6 days. Use old controller (which thank heaven I didn't sell) until new one arrives.
13 Diatom Filter breaks. Only one year old and motor is dead. I remake the whole thing with a submersible pump. Works better than original!
14 Accidently pour water over a Hydra 52 and melt the board. stupid stupid
15 First new fish introduced to system in over a year infect the tank with ick (despite precautions that didn't work) and die.

And that was the short list. Ithink I have had more stuff break and go wrong in the past seven months than all my reefkeeping years combined.

Your Diatom filter is a life line. almost magical :)

But yeah been a rough ride.....Here's to better days!

Back