Penductor?

anutha newby

Non-member
Okay,

been in this hobby for a few years now, and there are some terms and devices that I just do not know what they are. maybe we should open up a forum for all to just shout out things they don't understand but were afraid to ask about.

I'll start,

what the heck is a penductor?

I have a general knowledge of these, but, just what are diatoms?

thanks in advance

A penductor is a plastic molded device that when attached to a pressure rated pump, generates more flow in a larger area than without one. For pictures and how they work, go here:

http://www.myreefcreations.com/penductor.htm

Diatoms are small brown algae cells that when they die, they fall out of the water column to the bottom of your tank and form and ugly brownish covering. Nearly every tank will go through these during the first 4-8 weeks, but they normally go away after that (assuming the tank cycles as it should).

At the top of the Reef Talk forum on this site there's a thread entitled "Useful Threads". It contains links to particularly informative discussions. One of the links in that thread is a discussion with basically the same title as yours, and I think you'll find all your answers and more right there.

Hope that helps.

Nate

Back