We need more peoples to see this

Joker

Viking Corals
BRS Member
We need to get as many people to watch this movie called

CHASING CORAL

It came out in 2017 on Netflix and is currently on there again. Please share this movie across all media's you may have to get as many people to watch it as possible. I nearly died watching this movie and had to stop many times.

We need to get as many people to watch this movie called

CHASING CORAL

It came out in 2017 on Netflix and is currently on there again. Please share this movie across all media's you may have to get as many people to watch it as possible. I nearly died watching this movie and had to stop many times.
What is the movie about

The only thing I wish the movie did was to come up with some plans to help fix the issues.

Netflix "documentaries" really are not documentaries at all, because they are hugely biased towards left leaning politics and/or hysteria. Look at the Game Changers one they just did...it's incredibly misleading and has been ripped apart all over the place. They also don't disclose that James Cameron and a lot of the funders of the film have large investments in plant-based protein companies that would benefit immensely from what the film tries to promote, which is not inherently wrong, but the lack of disclosure is highly improper.

I'm not saying that the Great Barrier Reef is in great shape, but this film makes things seem far more dire than they really are. It's alarmist nonsense.

Netflix "documentaries" really are not documentaries at all, because they are hugely biased towards left leaning politics and/or hysteria. Look at the Game Changers one they just did...it's incredibly misleading and has been ripped apart all over the place. They also don't disclose that James Cameron and a lot of the funders of the film have large investments in plant-based protein companies that would benefit immensely from what the film tries to promote, which is not inherently wrong, but the lack of disclosure is highly improper.

I'm not saying that the Great Barrier Reef is in great shape, but this film makes things seem far more dire than they really are. It's alarmist nonsense.
+1

You want to do something about it? Quit for the hobby for good.
Seriously, it starts with us. Do you know how much stuff we pulled from the ocean for the hobby so that some idiot can buy it probably kill the next day? I don't care what you say about sustainable corals and fish from aquaculture and captive bred. They all come from the ocean at some point. The more you support the hobby, the more stuff will be pulled from the ocean. Period.

Seriously, it starts with us. Do you know how much stuff we pulled from the ocean for the hobby so that some idiot can buy it probably kill the next day? I don't care what you say about sustainable corals and fish from aquaculture and captive bred. They all come from the ocean at some point. The more you support the hobby, the more stuff will be pulled from the ocean. Period.

I would argue that things such as illegal dumping, dynamite blast fishing and people/cruise ships dragging anchors across huge swaths of reef are doing more damage than the number of coral we are removing. This is one incident that damaged 14,000 sqft of reef (80% of the coral in the area) - https://www.businessinsider.com/paul-allens-yacht-destroys-coral-reef-2016-1

There is no way that this hobby has caused anywhere near the amount of devastation that has been caused by Global Warming. Our hobby can only effect the ocean inhabitants. Global Warming is and will continue to be an unrivaled force of destruction across the world!

That said the stats that the movie brought to light can be verified with some minor research on your own. Thus giving anyone interested the ability to find the true for them selves.

I won’t argue with you about the fact that all documentary’s are biased in some way. However if anyone in 2020 watching one doesn’t realize this, then they shouldn’t be watching a documentary in the first place. I am not sure I would call the decline in natural reefs hysteria, it’s more like fact. I will agree with Nick that the hobby certainly contributed to this, especially from the early 90’s to late 2000’s. The hobby in general has moved towards a more sustainable place. If you buy a clownfish now there is a great chance it was captive bread, and so were it’s parents and grandparents, the same thing goes with a lot of coral. We aren’t in the place we should be but it’s a step in the right direction.

There is no way that this hobby has caused anywhere near the amount of devastation that has been caused by Global Warming. Our hobby can only effect the ocean inhabitants. Global Warming is and will continue to be an unrivaled force of destruction across the world!

That said the stats that the movie brought to light can be verified with some minor research on your own. Thus giving anyone interested the ability to find the true for them selves.

I’m not saying that we are the main contributor but we are a contributor nonetheless. I just want everyone to know that you are a hypocrite if you’re in the hobby and saying that the reef is dying and we should do something about it but keep keeping fish and corals in a glass cage.

I would argue that things such as illegal dumping, dynamite blast fishing and people/cruise ships dragging anchors across huge swaths of reef are doing more damage than the number of coral we are removing. This is one incident that damaged 14,000 sqft of reef (80% of the coral in the area) - https://www.businessinsider.com/paul-allens-yacht-destroys-coral-reef-2016-1
I have read that in some countries they dredge right thru the reefs without any care of what they’re plowing through

Is the cause climate change or pollution. I saw a YouTube vidio where a fellow reefers tanks were outside and his temps were crazy high in the summer. I don’t remember specifics. But I wonder if waste treatment, agriculture ect doesn’t play a role in the poor health of our oceans. I don’t wanna sound like an earth enemy but I’m not ready to stop eatin and poopin.

I won’t argue with you about the fact that all documentary’s are biased in some way. However if anyone in 2020 watching one doesn’t realize this, then they shouldn’t be watching a documentary in the first place. I am not sure I would call the decline in natural reefs hysteria, it’s more like fact. I will agree with Nick that the hobby certainly contributed to this, especially from the early 90’s to late 2000’s. The hobby in general has moved towards a more sustainable place. If you buy a clownfish now there is a great chance it was captive bread, and so were it’s parents and grandparents, the same thing goes with a lot of coral. We aren’t in the place we should be but it’s a step in the right direction.

Yes, to be more clear, I should have said that Netflix documentaries are usually not only biased, they are outright, one-sided activism. The film does not come close to presenting mitigating facts.

Like I already said, the reefs are not in great shape, but they aren't going to be gone in a decade or so. To claim otherwise is alarmist non-sense.

Back