Peppermint shrimp eating corals?

I have been having a problem for almost a week, my green and blue stylo were getting eaten at night time i couldn't figure out what it was. Last night i was up for hours trying to catch whatever it was and my peppermint shrimp are the ones eating it. They pick off the polyps on the stylo's. Has anyone ever had peppermint's eat there corals before?

I have been having a problem for almost a week, my green and blue stylo were getting eaten at night time i couldn't figure out what it was. Last night i was up for hours trying to catch whatever it was and my peppermint shrimp are the ones eating it. They pick off the polyps on the stylo's. Has anyone ever had peppermint's eat there corals before?

I've seen them "Clean" already dead or dying corals.......I've also seen a starfish eat a ricordia mushroom, however it had gotten into a fight with chalice and lost.....therefore it was doing it's job......namely they are cleaning.

This question is not in anyway to insult your inteligence. I have no idea how long you have been int the hobby.
But, are you sure that you have Peppermint shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni) and not Camel back Shrimp (Rhynchocinetas durbanensis)

I have seen many stores sell Camelback Shrimp AS Peppermint Shrimp. And Camelback Shrimp are known for eating healthy Corals.

Otherwise if you do have Pepps, I would have to assume, and go with what Chew said. That they are just doing there job and cleaning up something that was already dying.

-B-

I have had a very similar experience with peppermints. One day I added a large, and very healthy torch coral to my tank, and my 2 peppermints went to town on it. They were definately eating it and not cleaing it (were clipping off polyps and chowing down). Also, the torch was in perfect health, and is thriving in my tank over 3 months later. I know people say all peppermints are reef safe, but I don't believe any generalizations are appropriate in reefkeeping, as mine certainly were not and had to be removed. Everything is possible in this hobby. keep a close eye on the shrimp and remove them if neccesary.

Back