Peppermint shrimp

Adam Stone

Reef N00b
I bought some a few weeks ago and havent seen them since...Is there anyway of knowing if they are alive or not? :cool:

Check the tank after lights out you just may see them. These guys a rather shy and take some time to show themselves.

no easier way of seeing if they are alive? ive seen a thread before on how to find them with a flash light and something else but i dont remember where or all the full detail..

If they are out you can see them if they are behind a rock you can't. It?s that simple. If you look with a flash light look under ledges and through holes you might see an antenna or two.

might wanna try dropping a bit (very little) of food in after lights out.
that might bait them out while you wait with flashlight.

Use a red light and feed the tank after lights out. Everything comes out after lights out.

They aren't the most visible shrimp, especially the smaller ones. Lots of animals will eat them if they get the chance (serpent stars, some fish, etc). Mine used to hang out in the hollows of the rocks and directly underneath the BTA. Checking out the tank w/ a flashlight an hour or two after lights out is the best way to find them.

Ken

Both of mine tend to wander the tank. When I feed they come right out. The only time mine hide is after they molt.
What else do you have in the tank with them? What size is the tank? Are your Ammonia and Nitrite levels 0? What is the tank PH? How much, if any, live rock is in the tank? If the tank is packed with Live Rock so that the shrimp can hide and never be seen, then they may be alive and well. If you have a 40 gallon tank with 15 to 20 pounds of live rock, then I would think you would be able to spot them with out to much trouble.

Last edited:
I bought 6 about 3 weeks ago.It took my lantern bass (3") 10 min. to kill them all & then immediately eat 3.Grammas will sometimes do the same thing.

somaseven said:
I bought 6 about 3 weeks ago.It took my lantern bass (3") 10 min. to kill them all & then immediately eat 3.Grammas will sometimes do the same thing.
Some fish tend to be predators and you can't keep shrimp and other inverts. That was the way when I had a greenbird wrasse. I would put a 1/2 dozen snails in the tank and it was like ringing the bell and yelling "lunch, come and get it!!". ;)

Back