Petco Manchester, NH

Bobbofin

Non-member
Today I went to the Petco in Manchester, NH. The last time I went in there, about a month ago, everything looked great. Petco is doing a pilot program in some of its stores. They have 36"x24"x16" deep acrylic tank with a Sunlight Supply fixture and four Giesemann T5-HO bulbs, sump and Aqua-Euro skimmer. They are also carrying Seio, CPR and other decent products.
When I went in there today and I was very disappointed. The coral tanks against the back wall and the reef tank had tons of algae along with Aiptasia. A lot of the fish had ick. The nice acrylic tank with the corals frags had bryopsis and at least five different types of algae in it. I spoke to the clerk who was remove large amounts of algae from the frags. He said corporate refuses purchase an RODI, they currently only use a Culligan carbon filter on tap water and are also not using any phosphate remover. They will be replacing the Giesemann bulbs in the Sunlight Supply fixture with Wave Point bulbs.
I am a little dismayed. Last time I was in there I commented to Greg and Mike how good the tanks looked. I am a little surprised that things could get that bad in a month or so.
How can you keep a reef tank without the proper equipment and supplies? I really appreciate the responsible retailers that I frequent.

They need to hire people with knowledge on how to maintain these tamks. Good equiptment only works when the company wants to invest in keeping up with maintaining and making sure they employees have everything they need to keep it looking good. Reminds me of home depot and their dried out dead garden center

As a current Petco associate I couldn't agree more with Lisa. Unfortunately, most corps. don't work that way. Very frustrating for those of us who know what they are doing and sometimes feel like out hands are tied.

Dan

As a current Petco associate I couldn't agree more with Lisa. Unfortunately, most corps. don't work that way. Very frustrating for those of us who know what they are doing and sometimes feel like out hands are tied.

Dan

Dan,
My post was not a reflection on Petco associates. The guys in Manchester NH actually bring in test kits and water from home to make sure the specimens are being properly cared for but if cororate won't supply them with the tools to properly do their jobs there's only so much they can do. One associate said we burnt up his membrane bringing water in. This is NOT his responsibility to bring in water from home.
I can see corporate making them use Wave Point bulbs, Red Sea test kits and Instant Ocean salt which they stock but corporate should pony up for a RODI and a filter with phosphate remover in it.
Corporate, shame on you, do it right or don't do it at all!

Last edited:
Back