Phosban reactor questions

Mr. Slippery

Reads more, Posts less
Well the time has come for me to do something about my phosphate levels. Within the last week or two I've had a nasty hair algae outbreak. The stuff that grows on the rocks is quickly comsumed by the snails and crabs but they won't even touch the stuff on the back glass, which has gotten so thick that my clownfish are attempting to host in it:rolleyes: I figure that with a reactor I can kill 2 birds with one stone here and also run carbon in it. Currently my PO4 levels are at .25ppm. My NO3 levels are <10 but I'm sure the algae has just consumed it all. This has got to be the root of my problem.:mad:

What kind of flow do these things handle(meaning what size PH should I use to run it?) Also, would I be able to hang this thing on the side of my sump? I don't have any room in my stand and don't want it visible when looking at the tank from the front. Any advice is appreciated.

i use a mini-jet 606. its nice because i can back it off for running phos ban and increase the flow for running carbon works perfect for me.
i run mine hanging on the side of my sump but i dont have much room under my tank so it hangs in the sump not outside.

HTH :)

delta said:
i run mine hanging on the side of my sump but i dont have much room under my tank so it hangs in the sump not outside.

HTH :)
That's actually what I meant. I didn't know if it could run submerged or not.

I would suggest starting the reactor off with slow flow and not running it 24/7. The idea is that you do want to lower the levels in the tank, but you do not want to make any changes too quickly. We have been running one with carbon and one with Rowa-phos since spring and love them. They are setup as externals off the back of the sump.

I just bought a Phosphate Reactor at Macna too. I don't have it hooked up yet. Penman - what size powerhead are you using on yours? According to the instructions on mine, it takes a max of 80 gal/hour for 130 grams of PhosBan, and 90 gal/hr for 200 grams. The mini-jet 606 that Delta talks about pumps 79-153 gal/hour. So that definitely fits in that range. Delta - is that pump adjustable? If so, I think that's what I'm going to get. It's only $17 at Drfostersmith.com.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4605&Ne=40000&R=9854&N=2004+113040

daire, our phosban reactor is running on a maxi-jet 400 with a ball valve almost closed. the media should be just tumbling gently.

Daire when you start it up do like Paul says and don't run it 24/7

You want to lower the phosphate slowly.

Not all at once.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back