Pinpoint Reef Calcium Monitor

never heard one good thing about them, everyone says they are junk.. same with the salinity monitors too, FWIW.

I have the PH controller and IMO it has worked fine, BUT part of the display quit after a few yrs so I have a monitor that tells me that my Ca reactor is running at a PH of L.62 :mad:

I also have the PH monitor, it's been OK except that something started interfering with it and I could never figure out what it was. No big deal though, it just says the PH is in the 4 - 5 range sometimes.

And I have the pinpoint wireless thermometer set up. POS, very annoying erratic readings, losing temp probes, finding ones that don't exist, eating batteries constantly..... It would be a paperweight except that it's not heavy enough.

BTW, Pinpoint PH controller, PH monitor, and thermometers for sale :rolleyes:

I'll sell you mine cheap. The monitor is the one thing that does still work right, it's just that something electronic I have was interfering with it. I'd sell it for $20 with the AC adaptor, but you'd want to get a fresh probe to go with it (I have the old one, but I don't think it's good anymore since it's been sitting dry)

Honestly though, IMO if your going to lay out the cash for even just a PH monitor, it's a much better buy to get a basic system controller. (if you want to try the monitor, that same probe you'd have to buy would go with a system controller so it wouldn't be a waste of $ ;) )
http://www.digitalaquatics.com/ The basic lite needs an add on module and PH probe to do PH, but still quite affordable when you realize all it can do.

http://www.neptunesys.com/ The Apex is amazing in all it can do, but it's not cheap and is definately a bit complex to get set up in the first place unless your a computer network guy. I can sit at work and turn my lights on and off through the net. Web cam will be the next add on :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll sell you mine cheap. The monitor is the one thing that does still work right, it's just that something electronic I have was interfering with it. I'd sell it for $20 with the AC adaptor, but you'd want to get a fresh probe to go with it (I have the old one, but I don't think it's good anymore since it's been sitting dry)

Honestly though, IMO if your going to lay out the cash for even just a PH monitor, it's a much better buy to get a basic system controller. (if you want to try the monitor, that same probe you'd have to buy would go with a system controller so it wouldn't be a waste of $ ;) )
http://www.digitalaquatics.com/

http://www.neptunesys.com/

I have the Reef Keeper lite with the PH probe.... I was just trying to make life a little easier:D and have a Calcium monitor

Wow, I feel like a read dumb arse, I misread the title from the beginning :eek:

Was Randy's review what your read? If so, I'm pretty sure his impressions still hold water. The thing works well but is not for continious use, and is about as much trouble to use as the average test kit.

Note to self, READ thread titles before responding ;)

Was Randy's review what your read? If so, I'm pretty sure his impressions still hold water. The thing works well but is not for continious use, and is about as much trouble to use as the average test kit.

LOL I just finished reading Randy's review. I thought I saw another type of digital hand held meter that also test Calcium but I can't finf it anywhere

As far as I know, the pinpoint is the only one, but new things do come out everyday.

Are you sure you don't want to talk about PH monitors?

LOL Im glad I read your post John. I was going to ask him why his PH monitor wasnt working? It looked fine when I had seen it earlier today. Thats to Funny.

I use the Pinpoint Calcium Monitor in a continuous mode and have done so for two months. At first I read this couldn't be done but nothing in the Pinpoint literature says that it can't be done. First hurdle is continuous use will run the battery down real quick so the AC/DC power inverter must be used. The next thing is that the probe must be held at the correct level in the water according to the instructions. When I first purchased the unit it came with a probe that failed to calibrate properly due to inability to hydrate after extended storage time before it was sold, I mailed it back with an explanation and they replaced it immediately and had it back in three days! The first four weeks I recalibrated it and found it's continuous use readings to be completely accurate. In addition I double checked it against a fresh standard calcium level manual test kit (Red Sea) and again found it to be accurate. I also have a continuous use PH monitor and a continuous use Orp/Redox monitor. In a separate frag tank I use their remote thermometer which has also been very stable in it's readings. I use them to monitor my 14 Gal Biocube and find them very useful (see picture attached)

Attachments

• Lameduck 200.jpg
    Lameduck 200.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 861
Chris has one and he showed me how the damn thing jumps all over when connected to the ac power adapter, but the battery keeps a fairly constant number. The ac power adapter was from pinpoint too!

Back