Pipe organ corals: who keeps them?

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
Who here keeps pipe organ corals? I tried a while back and failed. I think my salt levels were consistently too low.

They look pretty.

If you keep them, how difficult are they? What lighting level? Flow?

Please post pictures. :)

I use to have one under T5s...low to med light. Medium to med high flow...pretty easy lps like candycane IMO.

I had one that went from a tiny frag to 11 inches high.
I tried to lower it's height by cutting the bottom off and the whole thing died.
It seemed to do best under Power compacts, like Andy said, med-low lighting.

*found a picture.

Attachments

• 2044pipe.jpg
    2044pipe.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
I don't think you can mess with the top.
That's where all the polyps come out.
The thing was really top heavy as you can see.
It never seemed to expand, only grow upwards.

Looked like a big flower bouquet in the tank.

I have a green one (bought from Frank 1.5 years ago) and a white one.

The green one grows extremely fast. It was the size of a plug, now it is around 12 times bigger.

They tend to grow in a ball. And love high flow. If you get a green one, make sure tou leave a diameter of 6-10" around it if you want it to grow nice and big.

The green ones (looks like GSP) are easy to trim, they kinda grow like GSP but up (not easy to describe). The white ones are a pain because they grow in stages attached to the previous stage (like constructing a building in a way, each new floor on top of the older one).

Last edited:
I've had the white one with the short polyps. It was actually the first coral I ever had. Under 150w MH in a JBJ Nano Cube on the sand bed. Did really well. They seem quite easy to keep, in fact I am hoping to get another one.

I have had a lot of experience with them. we had a green one like the one Bob posted a pic of at Skipton's for over 8 years...it grew over 24" across and was fragged several hundred times....lol
I also keep the white ones in a bunch of service account tanks, and they like a bit more light than the green and don't mind good flow...much slower growing than the green.
Also have had a green centered white edge one...that one is my favorite... :)
Fairly easy to keep...but unlike GSP they have a calcareous tube, so proper Alk, Ca, and Mg levels are important to maintain he health of the Coral

we get them in all the time...frags to colonies...

I had one that went from a tiny frag to 11 inches high.
I tried to lower it's height by cutting the bottom off and the whole thing died.
It seemed to do best under Power compacts, like Andy said, med-low lighting.

*found a picture.
attachment.php

Would make for a cool center piece

Back