please critique my parameters

mountaineer

Non-member
Background: I set up my first reef tank, a 27 gallon cube, on Sept 28, 2014. I`ve added fish but no corals or inverts besides CUC. I want to add corals soon. I started the tank with 25 lbs of reefcleaners dry rock and 5 lbs of live rock to seed.

I`ve been using Red Sea Coral Pro salt and mixed it according to directions. I usually do a weekly 5 gallon change, but I did a big 10 gallon change yesterday, since the tank was kind of grungy after spending a few days with a sitter. I have an RODI unit and my water comes out 0 tds.

Santa brought me some new test kits! Now I can junk the API kit and see where I`m actually at. Without furthur ado, here`s where I`m at tonight:

Nitrate -- 0 (Red Sea Kit)
Phosphate -- 0.03 (yikes, is that too high?) (Red Sea kit)
Calcium -- 420 ppm (Salifert kit)
Alk -- 11.5 dKH (Salifert kit)
Mag -- 1150 ppm (Elos kit)
temp - 78
salinity -- 1.025
pH - 8.0 - 8.2 (API kit)

What do you think? Is it time to add coral, or do I need to work on tweaking these numbers?

My concerns:
1) Phosphate. I`m running PhosGuard in a HOB filter, as I don`t have a sump and thus no place for a GFO reactor. I`ve just tricked out my AC70 into a fuge, but I`m still trying to run down some chaeto...Any other suggestions?

2) pH. The level looks good now, but before the big water change, I was routinely getting a reading of 7.8, and occassionally 7.6. I`m hoping that my fuge will help combat the night swing, but those low readings worry me...

3) mag. I see it`s low. After getting that 1150 reading, I dosed it with Tech M leftover from a bryopsis battle. I`d like to get it up to 1350. I noticed that my coralline algae growth had really slacked off in the last 2-3 weeks. Perhaps that low mag had something to do with it.

All advice and comments are welcome!

+1 agree with above , phosphates are no worry either . unless you have nothing else in tank to use them of course . at current levels neggligable

Everything looks good. You want some Phosphates and Nitrates for the corals to use as food, going too sterile is never a good thing.

+1 with above also. Stable levels, proper lighting and flow are all key things for coral. Start off with a cheap, hardy coral and see how it goes. Just be sure to stay away from invasive and aggressive coral for now. In other words, do research and don't impulse buy like many of us (myself included) have done at the beginning! :)

Thanks for all the input, fellows. I had a feeling my alk test was off (user error!), so I watched some tutorials and tried again. I tested my parameters again this morning:

pH -- 8.0 (this after a night of lights off)
Calcium -- 410 ppm
Alk -- 8.4 dKH
Magnesium -- 1250 ppm (after dosing last night)

I`m going to try some hardy soft and LPS corals this month.

Back