Please help - what has happened to my mixed saltwater???

FishieBusiness

BRS Member
Hi All,

So I mixed 20gal. on Friday afternoon. we had company over all weekend and didn't get my water change. I was going to do it last night and I noticed a brownish tint to the water. There is this slimish type of stuff all around the container at the water level. The circ pump is also covered with this same slimish stuff. The container is the same that i always. using IO reef crystals mixed to 1.026. no heater in use at this time.

Is this water ok to use?? Or do i dump it and remix?? has anyone seen this before?? How long can you store mixed saltwater?

Thanks for the help:)

Hi All,

So I mixed 20gal. on Friday afternoon. we had company over all weekend and didn't get my water change. I was going to do it last night and I noticed a brownish tint to the water. There is this slimish type of stuff all around the container at the water level. The circ pump is also covered with this same slimish stuff. The container is the same that i always. using IO reef crystals mixed to 1.026. no heater in use at this time.

Is this water ok to use?? Or do i dump it and remix?? has anyone seen this before?? How long can you store mixed saltwater?

Thanks for the help:)
I've never had that issue. But i do use IO reef crystals as well and have left it for longer time in containers and never heard of this. I'm following to see wth it is?
I'm sorry i couldn't be of any help...

here are some pics. note the difference in color of the container above and below the water

Attachments

• IMG_3539.jpg
    IMG_3539.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_3540.jpg
    IMG_3540.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 196
What kind of water was added to the IO crystals? I have heard of this happening when tap/well water is used instead of RO/DI water.

Sounds like a contaminate. I use this salt and leave with no pump or heater for like two weeks with np. Id try and clean tank and see if it comes back

Could be the anti caking agent in the salt mix. I have similar issues with mine if I leave it stagnant for a bit.

So ro/di using thru a six stage unit. Same tub used for a while. Had a circ pump with no heater(this time of year). This has happened to me before unfortunately with extended stay in mix tub. I don't understand it.... o_O

I will be buying a new mix container tomorrow and soaking the pump in vinegar.:(

Will update on with next data

Back