Plumber's Help Needed with RO/DI

Tight Lines

Non-member
Here goes.

I have a RO/DI system that I have been using with my kitchen faucet. I have slowly stripped the threads in the faucet and the male connector on the RO/DI will no longer hold on to the faucet when it is turned on.

Surprise, surprise I can't make RO/DI water.

This is the only standard (garden hose) sized faucet in my apartment. Pictured below:

photo-1.jpg

My other two faucets are significantly smaller and appear to be some anomally judging from the fellows at Home Depot and other local hardware stores. They're apparently somewhat rare and no one has any idea of how I can connect the RO/DI to one of these faucets. Pictured below:

photo2-1.jpg

I have added a final picture for a size comparison of the two.

photo1.jpg

I rent my apartment and will be moving out in May so buying a new faucet or hard-tapping the water line are not options.

I thought this would be simple enough task but its proving to be fairly frustrating. To make matters worse I just got back from a week long vacation and am in desperate need of water for top-off and a water change.

All help is greatly appreciated and sorry for the crappy phone pics.

Not sure how bad the faucet is stripped, but have you tried some teflon tape and go nylon on the RO/DI Side?

Try ACE hardware they have a pretty good selection of dishwasher/washer sink connections that you should be able to find something to retrofit your RO/DI.

Could you temporarily use teflon tape to get a connection?

Thanks for the quick responses.

Unfortunately ACE has failed me and even trusty teflon tape hasn't helped. :rolleyes:

Have you brought the adaptor that you need to replace to these stores? I'm just wondering if the piece is getting lost in translation with the dullards at Home Depot. Maybe the actual piece would jog their memory.

try a plumbing store
i.e. snow and jones or republic
some where where real pros can help you find what you need
it shouldnt be a problem judging from what is pictured

If you want to kludge it, try some poly tube .... slip it over the faucet(may require some hot water) and attach with an O-Clamp ... the RO tube side goes into press a fitting with extra points going to the number of adapters used to get down to 1/4".

Seems to me that those faucet mounted filters (i.e. pure, britta) come with a bunch of different adapters. You could also try a place that sells waterbeds. They usually have filler kits with different size adapters.

Hope this helps

I realize you don't want to invest in a new faucet because you rent the place, but if you keep your eye out you can probably find a decent Price Fister (or similar brand) on sale/clearance for ~$30 with a pullout spout. I'd check Ebay as well.

You might spend that much trying to cobble together a band aid, and you'll much happier with a decent faucet. Replacing it won't cost that much and you'll be done with it, plus you'll be able to enjoy the pullout spout if you didn't have one before. Just my opinion.

Back