Plz help me pick out my lights I'm going nuts!

gurumasta

Senior Moron
I am all over the place trying to figure out my lights for my upcoming reef. Tank is 100 gallon 48 x 24 x 20. I already purchased 4 x T5 retro kit and I am planning on a floating canopy that will be custom built.

I was going to go with halides but I am back on an LED kick. I am hoping to not spend more than like $800 for the LED's.

I was looking at the Reef Breeders V2 but I am not so sure that light is the same caliber as the big names. I was also told by a reputable source that it does not provide any shimmer.

Would two Radion XR15w G4 Pro or maybe two Hydra 26 along with the T5 be enough? What about three 26's? Should I just spring for two 52's at that point? I guess then I would just go with two xr30's which is crazy money. Should I go back to the halide route? Arghhh! This is what I'm saying!!

I want some good shimmer so I was also considering maybe a mini kessil in the middle of the tank or something. Unless those other LED fixtures give off great shimmer.

Thanks!

if you allready running t5s and i have to pick up from your list i would start with two hydra 26 +hd and go from there you can always add another one if you feel like you needed .

This is my "floating canopy" with two 39W T-5's and two Kessil 360's, seems like it would do everything your looking for including great shimmer, I think you would be very happy with a similar setup.

Jim
IMG_0285[1].jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies. Do you think that the XR15 is worth the extra $50 each over the hydra 26? My understanding is they offer better coverage. I was also considering the kessils for the shimmer but I want a little better spread. Thanks again!

Thank you for the replies. Do you think that the XR15 is worth the extra $50 each over the hydra 26? My understanding is they offer better coverage. I was also considering the kessils for the shimmer but I want a little better spread. Thanks again!
i have never own a xr15 a lot of people love then . but again if its gonna be for supplement light with t5s even cheap chinese leds will do the trick .
i like the the new hydras 26 hd because now they are like the ai prime you dont need to get a controler anymore . they are wifi programed really simple and easy .
btw i also have a led light with great shimmer you can try . and see if its is what you looking for

i have never own a xr15 a lot of people love then . but again if its gonna be for supplement light with t5s even cheap chinese leds will do the trick .
i like the the new hydras 26 hd because now they are like the ai prime you dont need to get a controler anymore . they are wifi programed really simple and easy .
btw i also have a led light with great shimmer you can try . and see if its is what you looking for

Thank you for that offer! I am still not setup yet and I want to get the lights to build the canopy around so not right now but thanks again..

I was considering the reef breeders V2 or Aquasanrise as a budget option but I don't think I fully trust it at this time. I did extensive research and they seem to have some disco ball and not much shimmer. Although they are an awesome bang for the buck.

I think I am going to go with 3 hdrya 26 for the better coverage along with the T5 and just be one and done. I can turn them down if its overkill and I know what I am buying. Its pricey but screw it I will buy the piece of mind at this time. It will have the same wattage as two 52's but more spread. Maybe I'm nuts but I don't want to think about lighting anymore lol...

Feel free to tell me if this is a bad decision.

Thanks again for the help!

Last edited:
This is my "floating canopy" with two 39W T-5's and two Kessil 360's, seems like it would do everything your looking for including great shimmer, I think you would be very happy with a similar setup.

JimView attachment 113906

Did you custom build that top? If not where did you get that material? That's what I'm after for ventilation.

Looks great.

Ya I built it, been woodworking a long time it's all white Oak including the grill.

Jim

Nice looking canopy.

If you're gonna do hydra go with the 52s. I'd say go reefbreeders photon v2 or the aquasunrise. Put either one of those with your 4 bulb retro and you can grow anything. Look forward to a build thread.

3 Kessil 360s and your 4 bulb retro would be sweet too! Shimmer is sick on those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I was looking at the kessil ap700 as well. The kessil 360s also but a little worried about the coverage. This is a tough one but I think I might just stick with the brand name hydra's over the reef breeders products. Three 26's are same wattage as two 52's and will offer better spread. Also less expensive. Its a display in my living room so I want it to look clean and the hydras give that look. The kessils aren't a bad idea either. Hmmm.....

Something else to consider, if your 4' tank has a center brace, you may be better off with the 2-52's instead of the 3-26's.

i think center braces going to disappear soon with the new tanks being so sleek and so clean looking without it .
i had a 150 gallon and remove the two center braces ;) .

Back