Poll... kinda sorta....

Lil Shark

Theres a girl in my glass
Ok so I got permission to compose a list of 12 of my favorite types of Fast growing coral for the 300gal here at school. Corals aren't my best subject (but I'm quickly learning) so I was wondering what are some of people's favorite kinds. They can be softies, LPS, or SPS but the only requirement is that they have to be fast growing. We have the system so lets have some fun. :D

Pumping Xenia - To some folks it's a weed, but at 300g you've got some room to let them spread, maybe even take over a corner of the tank. It you had large clusters of various color variations of healthy pulsing xenia it would be pretty impressive.

Others would maybe be Capnella (mine seems to drop babies regularly), and then star polyps too will spread.

Sounds like a fun project. Good luck

It's hard to recommend corals without knowing something about the system they're going to be in. What are the tank's dimensions? What lights are on it? Do you have a calcium reactor, or how do you plan to keep up with Calcium and Alkalinity consumption?

In my mind these factors are very important to deciding what corals will do well in your monster tank. :D

It's hard to recommend corals without knowing something about the system they're going to be in. What are the tank's dimensions? What lights are on it? Do you have a calcium reactor, or how do you plan to keep up with Calcium and Alkalinity consumption?

In my mind these factors are very important to deciding what corals will do well in your monster tank. :D

That all said, xenia will grow under a 100watt incandescent ;) I am going to set out some xenia in a 15gal tank this summer and see if it can handle the temp swings and natural light:)

Last edited:
250 Metal Halide over a custom built tank so i cant specifiy on the demensions. We have a calcium reactor and the other things. There is no limit as to what we can do with the tank. But to populate it and REALLY make it eye catching we want some fast growing corals.

I had an orange digi colony grow like a weed in my tank. I think any of the common montiporas (caps and digitata) will grow really quickly.

I also find my hammer coral to be a fast grower. I started with 3 heads. So far I have sold 7, and I am currently up to 18. That is in 18-20 months.

As said before, xenia grows like no other .... you can have all of mine, it will just grow back.

Just be prepared for the added maintenance that comes along with fast growing corals... you'll have to prune/frag them regularly.

Nuno

Yeah we know. I know what is required with them... i just dont know what I want to pick. I'm only allowed 12... 24 all together with the other girl i work with.

Both would be appriciated not gonna lie. Getting funding around here is like pulling teeth

If the tank is at UNE, I have several large colonies that I would be willing to donate. What school is the tank in?

Jeff

At the Biddeford Campus in the new Alfond Heather Building. Rick who works for NE aquarium service is helping with the set up and he is just fantastic.

Great,

I have a large colony of orange cap, a large branching fine grape, and several large branching acro colonies that range in color from tan to green depending on the lighting. All are fast growing, hardy, and have been under VHO and now MH lighting.

I also have a lot of orange zoos.

I dont know Rick, but do know Keith M. who works in the Marine Science Center.

Let me know i you are intrested.

Jeff
UNE, class of '86

Back