Potassium Permanganate?

jtma508

Non-member
I have a new fish with a protruding what appears to be roundworm. Apparently the recommended treatment is a potassium permangante bath. Does anyone know where I can find some locally?

Thanks.

I have a new fish with a protruding what appears to be roundworm. Apparently the recommended treatment is a potassium permangante bath. Does anyone know where I can find some locally?

Thanks.

I've never heard of that, but then again I'm new at this. From what I've seen at work this stuff is purple and real hard to get off your hands.

Yea, I've worked with it in the past and if not handled properly will turn everything within a one mile area purple. But this is the suggested treatment so I figured someone must have it.

Potassium permanganate is a purple powder that turns brown when it comes in contact with anything organic. It is an oxidizer, and classified as an explosive. It will stain your hands brown very quickly so wear gloves. I have heard it is used to clean vegetables so you might find it at an agriculture store. I found somebody that used it to regenerate water softener media, and got a container of it from them.

I used it to kill Montipora Eating Nudis over a year ago. Turned my montis brown for a couple of weeks, but killed the nudis and eggs.

Do you apply it directly to the fish's body? I would think a bath would damage the gills pretty quickly.

I've used potassium permanganate in freshwater aquariums and fish ponds for years. Mostly to oxidize organics. I've dipped large koi in it successfully on one occasion. Just be very careful with it as far as treating the fish. I have not used it on marine animals/organisms though. Good luck.

Back