Preferred Salt Mix?

Amazon

Non-member
I use regular Instant Ocean. But notice the calcium "out of the box" is low. Do you folks prefer a different brand?

We're getting low on the IO, so if I'm going to buy more, may as well get the right one!

Thanks

A lot of people (me included) just mix up IO, then pour in a bit of concentrated calcium chloride (since the calcium is low) and a bit of concentrated magnesium chloride (since the magnesium is also a bit low). I have 2 liter containers of each of these next to my 25 gallon mixing trash can. I just mix up the salt, then dump the right number of capfuls of each Mg, and Ca into the bucket (takes an extra 30 seconds). It's a good idea to wait until the IO is mixed up before adding the calcium as it might be more difficult to get your IO to dissolve. This is part of the reason that IO is a bit low in calcium. Most people don't have corals, and don't care about the calcium level. They just want the salt mix to dissolve quickly. Can you imagine the number of people that would screw up the mixing of salt if IO came with some extra bottles of liquid Ca/Mg that you had to add separately?!?

Prefered salt

Hello Amazon,

I have used quite a variety of different salts. I think the oceanic desolves the best, as far as animal health I like the tropic marin regular and reef (regular has less calcium out of the bucket). Also the instant ocean reef crystals (you may find that this has more calcium than regular instant ocean) seem to do well. I don't really know if anyone salt is far superior than another.
I hope that someone can shed some more light on this subject.

Bradig

Back