Preferred Salt Mix?

chuck

why why why
I used to use Instant Ocean, which worked pretty well for me. I figured I would see what people are using now and why...

Also, any experience with the IO Crystals?

And... unrelated kinda... I have an RO system that I know I need to buy filters and a membrane for... I have no idea what GPD the current set up is rated for... can I alter it by changing the membrane or are they built very specific?

i use red sea coral pro... i use it because IF i keep up with weekly water changes i don't have to dose anything.......... if being key word...

I use zeovit and want my water close to NSW so I use Tropic Marin Pro Reef. It is expensive and I might be able to find something but I really like it so I am not going o change it now.

Red sea... interesting... thanks for teh input... for some reason I thought people steered away from that

I use oceanic and I know I'm in the minority in using it because in the past it's had a bad rap but I love the stuff... I rarely ever have to adjust my mag...

I was using reef crystals for the past 4 or 5 years. I am in the process now of switching to coralife. I got a massive outbreak of cyano right around the time I started using my current bucket of RC. I attribute it to the RC because my wife got it in her nano at work and she uses the same mix water I use.'

I have read that since coralife reformulated, that it is a good mix for the price. I also switched to coralife because petsmart carries it and I have one 10 mins away from me which works out well for saving shipping and if I am in a pinch.

Last edited:
interesting to see the high phosphate and nitrate levels measured by AWT in I/O.

Coralife salt here

I am currently using SeaChem Reef Salt. I tried TM Pro, IO, and RC and none of them seemed any better. I still have to dose the big 3, but I am doing SPS and clams.

I'm a little wary of AWT's testing. The 2 samples of IO they tested for P04 were .13 and .02, quite a difference. Also some of the ALK values they posted are pretty suspect, a few in the 5-6 DKH range.

says something about IO quality control batch to batch. Thats the reason I switched because I couldnt take one box being 9 dkh and the next being 12. I pay for it but consistancy is what matters to me.

I just tested a fresh batch of Reef Crystals that had been mixing for 24hrs.

Mag = 1125 ppm
Cal = 400 ppm
Alk = 9 dkh

That AWT article was interesting. I just scooped from the bucket and didn't really mix it around before adding to the water. Next time I make water I'll try to stir the salt up good to see if it makes a difference.

Back