Preventing fish from Jumping out

GottisEgo

Non-member
What does everyone use to prevent fish from jumping out of the tank. I have a open top tank and do NOT want to lose one of my fish. Reason being I introduced one recently and saw him launch himself right into my T5. I'm suprised he didnt knock himself out.

Any ideas are much appreciated!

Home Depot. In the section where they sell ceiling tiles, hanging lights, fluorescent lighting, shop lights and such.

It really depends on your set up. I use them over all PC systems and drop the light from the leg/stands, onto the top of the tank, like this:

GuppyTank1.jpg

I've also used it over the overflow box to keep fish from jumping in there, though plastic gutter guard is probably a better option.

I'd NOT put it on a tank, below intense MH lights. Especially if the fish jumped, but couldn't make it out of a canopy. I HAVE used it as a grill for the back of the canopy where fish could jump out.

Dave

I am running T5's. I figure I lay the crate over the top and keep the lights on the legs the way they are now.

Bird netting for fruit bushes secured to an acrylic frame and a plastic hinge for access into the tank. I'll be building one soon.

Just remember that you want your materials to be UV tolerant. Even egg crate diffuser will break down over time under intense light.

I use bird netting over my koi pond during Fall and Winter to keep leaves and unwanted guests out, and in just one season, it tends to get brittle and break apart.

I like the gutter guard product. (non metalic). It's pretty tough when forced into less than forgiving conditions. Unfortunately, it's an opaque barrier and is useless for anything more than covering overflows and other applications that are not going to affect lighting your system.

Dave

I used egg crate on two systems, both 20 gallons or less and put the lights right on top of the crate. I'm sure there was some light lost, but there were no noticeable shadows. In one system, I had 2X65W over a 20 gallon tank. It did very well. It was my first reef and had LPS, softies and a squamosa clam:

Nano.jpg

The second was just 2X18 over a 12 gallon. It did fine as well. It was just softies and coralimorphs.

nano.jpg

Dave

I used to have eggcrate over my tank under a mental halide with no issues, no shadows. I haven't put it on my current tank, although I think I'm going to need to... darn suicidal fish!

Needle nose pliers with a lil' twist works well too. Just mark the outside edge with a marker and start snippin away.

D

Back