aggressive clown fish preventing other clown from hosting

clown fan

Non-member
I have two juvenile black ocellaris clown fish. I am hoping that they will pair when they mature. I got them a BTA to host in. They are hosting it. However, one of the fish is very aggressive, and preventing the other from hosting. Anytime that he tries, the aggressive one chases him out. Is there anything that I can do? Will time correct this? Should I get an additional BTA? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That may be a good thing, the dominant one will own the anemone, the other can stay away to keep from getting beat up. With a little luck, the smaller one will stay safe and in time be accepted by the larger one.

I don't think another BTA is necessary, but I don't think it would hurt either.

How much difference is there in size between the clowns? The greater the difference the smoother the pairing should go.

As long as the little one isn't getting really beat up they should be OK.

Good luck

I have a pair of Black Osc. in the shop tank. The male host's and the female does not, no interest. It's not necessary from them to host.

Thanks for the response. They are both tiny. The more aggressive one is slightly larger, and goes after the other one anytime he is near. The poor little fellow is trying to host a mushroom. Would getting another BTA be a good thing, or in time will they be able to share the same anemone?

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

Really? I wouldn't have thought that the aggressive one could take over both. Do you think that they will share over time?

Not to say I wrote the book on this subject, but I've had my 2 clownfish for over 2 year's. Got them as juvenile's and it did not take long for the slightly bigger one to dominate my RBTA. She will no let the little guy near it at all and he is relagated to host in my Xenia colony. One day RBTA splits and I have 2, female goes back and forth between them not letting the little guy in once. Not sure how it would have turned out but I had to get rid of the second RBTA as it started to roam and sting my SPS. Present day they have still not paired up and she still is queen of the RBTA. I thought for sure they would have paired up by now. Still waiting for the majic to happen....

I have a mated pair of clarkii clowns who produce eggs like rabbits (easter clownies?) and even now sometimes the larger one will make the small one sleep on the couch for a few nights. they've done this for years now. they have a dysfunctional marriage I guess.

Back