Problem with snails and crabs

Dekon

BRS Member
I am having a problem keeping Mexican Turbo Snails and Emerald Crabs in my tank. They will last for like two months and then die. There are 15 Regular Turbo Snails, 2 Nassarius Snails, 3 Bumble Bee Snails and 20 Small Blue Leg Hermits; they are fine and every thing else in the tank looks good. I have a BioCube 29. My params are normal. I can't figure it out. Could they be starving? I am at a loss. Any help or ideas on what is going on?

Pretty good size cleanup crew for a 29 gal. Mexican turbos eat a lot could well be starving. Another possibility is that the turbos were collected in the temperate waters of southern California. They only last a few months in the warmer temps of a reef tank.

I've read that alot of inverts are extremely sensitive to water parameter changes.. so if they've been exposed to quick acclimation and/or you don't drip acclimate them (I've read that they should be drip acclimated for at least 12 hours if not 24) then they'll pretty much die in a few months.

Plus what nichols41 said.

A couple of things. Are you sure they are true Mexican turbos because cold water snails are often sold as turbo snails but won't last long at reef temperatures? I think that is probably too big of a clean up crew. I have one Mexican turbo in my 29 and a handful or hermits.

Back