Proposed new lime purchase

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
Kalkwasser is just lime water.
We can buy lime from a place in Mississippi. It'll take a big order.
We'll have to get it shipped to someplace where a pallet can be unloaded, and then the big ol' bags of lime distributed.
But in the end, we'd be getting kalk CHEAP!
We did this before.
So this post is to gauge interest, to offer the deal to sponsors (there ain't a lot of money to be made on this), and to see who could take delivery of such a big quantity.

Post away.

Last time the kalk came out to about 17 cents per pound.

Since I'm gonna be project manager on this one, I reserve the right to make all final decisions.

Edit: Greg, please add any wisdom you have on this project (same holds true for anyone else who was involved in the past lime bulk orders - I just forget who was involved.)

Last edited:
Im sure Armando will be in, he loves the stuff from the last order! Remember it is the same once it mixes with water and puts out heat.

Jeff, are you willing to have it delivered to your place?

Remember, this is calcium oxide, not calcium hydroxide, so it heats up a bit when you first add it to water. DON'T add it direct to your kalkwasser (Nielson) reactor without first mixing it up in another container. Some have melted their reactors!

Also, DON'T put it into a syringe for Aiptasia killing until it has cooled, someone nearly lost an eye doing this (and I'm not saying that just because I'm a dad, I knew the guy!).

Greg, this can also be used to mix with soil to neutralize acidic conditions - right ?

Just giving some thought as to other uses.

Greg Hiller said:
Jeff, are you willing to have it delivered to your place?

I have no problem unloading it from the truck here but if i remember correctly, unlike the magnesium, this stuff was in paper bags and cant be kept outside. I dont have the space to put it inside anyplace so it would be a big and hot problem if it was raining or rained before it was all picked up.

We have room in the garrage to store it if you guys need a place to have it delivered. As long as someone else takes it off the truck :)

>Greg, this can also be used to mix with soil to neutralize acidic conditions - right <

I think so, but I'm not sure the calcium oxide form is used for this. Don't really know. The Mississipi lime web site probably has more info on its uses.

Back