Proposed new lime purchase

>If a fully saturated solution is desired and if the resultant pH will settle out impurities - do I need to use RO/DI for kalkwasser? Or can I just just use RO or just tap water??<

Good question, one that I've considered trying myself. The problem is that the high pH won't take everything out of solution that might be problematic that is in the tap water (silicates? chloramine?). Good question for Randy H-F. And one that he has probably answered before.

I don't suppose a full bag will fit in a homer bucket? Has anyone tried? How much is left over?

I needed two "Homer" sized buckets, and I still had a little leftover in the bag. I used the white ones from the paint dept. at HD.

On another note....is anyone having trouble getting this stuff to dissolve completely? I use the eyeball and dump method...Brute container...put approximate amount in bottom..dump in RO/DI. Let product settle. This method worked fine for the pickling lime, but I seem to be getting a "dust slick" on the surface of the water, and it seems like some lime just doesn't want to settle out of solution. Anyone else having this problem or a suggestion to remedy this? Is this a problem? The tank doesn't seem to be bothered by it.....

BTW...my water is really cold if you think that it might make a difference. TIA.

Take kalkwasser from the middle of your mixture - not the top (which can be a dust slick or a crust), nor from the bottom - where the undissolved residue packs a huge pH whallop.

I was gonna mix up my first batch of kalkwasser tonight so I started re-reading this thread. I'm a bit confused. Is it 3/4 of a teaspoon or tablespoon?

Thanks!

seasno said:
Moe....technically 3/4 of a tablespoon would get you to saturation point....but I don't think the extra 1/4 tablespoon is going to cause any huge issue. ;)

reefnroll said:
I believe that if 3/4 teaspoon per gallon (of this particular product) brings water to saturation, then some small percentage of that 3/4 teaspoon will not dissolve, and will never dissolve in subsequent mixings because it is 'impure' (for lack of a better term).

So this stuff turned out to be Ca Hydroxide, right? Like pickling lime?

I've been using Balls and Mrs Wages pickling lime in my kalk reactor, and I'm getting a lot of yellow fluffy residue left over after most of the white kalk has been used up. (probably a 1/2 cup of yellow stuff left over from a pound of kalk)

I'm guessing it's impurities in the lime, and so I'm looking for a better source of lime. I'm also suprised at how fast I'm going through lime now with my bigger sump and kalk reactor (a pound is lasting me a bit less than a month). So I wonder if oxide would be better because it would last longer before refills.

Any good sources for oxide, without paying $20/pound at the LFS, or organizing another huge pallet-sized group buy?

If not, how about a source for cleaner Calcium Hydroxide? Is the stuff you guys got dissolving cleanly? Anyone use it in a Kalk reactor yet? (seems like a good way to test purity, since all the impurity is clearly left over when the lime is substantially dissolved.)

Nate

I was gonna mix up my first batch of kalkwasser tonight so I started re-reading this thread. I'm a bit confused. Is it 3/4 of a teaspoon or tablespoon?

2 1/4 teaspoons or 3/4 tablespoon per gallon of water should bring you to the saturation point.

Nate, I have a lot of extra from the pooled order (Ca Hyd) if you want to try some. I think I'm only about 20 min from you. I might even be able to drop it off. LMK
-Patrick

Back