Protein Skimmer Advice Please

JonAsh

Non-member
Looking to purchase a Protein Skimmer for a 95 gallon tank w/ overflows and a 30 gallon sump that I am building. Anyone have advice on the type of skimmer I should purchase? Should it be submersible, or perhaps a backpack.

In particular, I have been looking at two Berlin skimmers. They are the Turbo Classic rated for 250 gallons. This can be submersible, or hangon. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I would check out the ASM skimmers. Awesome skimmers for the money, and a few of our sponsors carry them locally.

Mark

Jeremy over at CRA has his house brand name and they are great for the money...... I have one and I am very pleased with it.....

I haven't used the berlin skimmers myself, but I've heard they're not all that good.

A hang on back skimmer won't cut it for that size tank, so I'd look for an in-sump skimmer, and I think for that size a needlewheel is probably the simplest/best option. Check out ASM or the house-brand at Coral Reef Aquarium in Seekonk.

Nate

Just picked up the Coralife Super skimmer from Pet Solutions ( good prices and low cost shipping)for my 46 bow, working great was think Remora but read some good things about the Coralife and was half the price so I tried it. This is my first skimmer, but seems to be working great, cup is full of crap and water has really cleared up.

Thanks for the advice... Keep the suggestions coming!

On a related note...How do I know how deep in the water the skimmer has to be?

Back