Quarantine corals?!?! How and why?!?

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
Please discuss the following:
-Why quarantine coral?
-Who are the bad guys?
-How to set up a Q/T tank?
-Time periods for Q/T
-Treatment (dips?) and medications while in Q/T?

Please feel free to elaborate.
Thanks.

You need a tank, heater, and maybe live sand or rock for a little filtration.
Then what I would do is to treat the tank with a a prophylactic dip that contains iodine. Then I would also remove and dip each coral in Lugol's solution (iodine)
periodically. The problem is that iodine does not kill the worms it just makes them drop off of the coral. Also the eggs are unaffected. So you would need to keep dipping each coral, perhaps rotating one or two or threee corals a day and continue to dip them until all of the eggs hatch and then one last dip and a good brushing to remove any left over eggs. Also a freshwater bath for the last dip may work, since SPS keeers forum people say that these FW hate FW.

Right now I am soaking my affected coral in a 5 gallon bucket at a decreased salinity of 1.021 and a heavy does of Sea Chem Coral Disinfectant. I also plan to do dialy iodine dips and brush-scrubbing. I may lose the coral but it is almost gone anyway. I will post the results if they look good and if the coral survives.

How do you Quarantine?

Could folks please post methods and setups for quarantining fish and corals.

Perhaps include:

* What it's for (fish, inverts, different types of corals)
* What your setup is (equipment)
* What chemicals you use
* How long you dip, scrub, examine, pray, etc
..and most importnatly
* What are the obvious things you look for to make sure something is clean and ready for prime time?

I'm a newbie and this info would be good to have centralized in the useful threads section. I'd like to start up my main tank with a good quarantine system in place so I can avoid any infestation from the start, and I would appreciate hearing all the different methods you guys use.

Thanks a bunch!
Melody~

Melody: to avoid duplication, I merged your thread into this one that Moe had started a bit earlier.

Nuno

Personally i choose not to use rock or sand for filtration because it can be a safe haven to the very things we are trying to erradicate,it can also absorb and then re release the various chemicals used in the process causing an overdose.
Maybe i am wrong but thats my feeling on it.

Good Point

Yes for a fish only QT no sand or rock....even maybe for a coral quarantine. I was just suggesting that some sort of filtration would be needed. Good point though....maybe a hang-on filter with a sponge that has colonized bacteria on it from your sump would do the trick?

ltelus said:
Personally i choose not to use rock or sand for filtration because it can be a safe haven to the very things we are trying to erradicate,it can also absorb and then re release the various chemicals used in the process causing an overdose.
Maybe i am wrong but thats my feeling on it.

Some good has come from Chucks misfortune :)
I have finally set up my coral treatment tank!!

Attachments

• DSCF0909 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0909 (Small).JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 179
Chuck you say a heavy dose of sea chem. but whats a heavy dose for a 5 gallon bucket.Is too much bad or too little?Or does it have to be perfect?

Dose

I have double, triple and even quadruple dosed. I also have dosed even more: one capful in really small container (16 to 32 oz container of SW) without killing the coral.....BUT PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK......THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDATION...FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS FOR ALL MEDICATIONS UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO ACCEPT THE CONSEQUENCES.

Sorry, I had to add that disclaimer.....

addict said:
Chuck you say a heavy dose of sea chem. but whats a heavy dose for a 5 gallon bucket.Is too much bad or too little?Or does it have to be perfect?

FWIW, I've been dipping all my arriving corals in about 5 mls per quart SeaChem ReefDip for 5 minutes for the past few months. No problems with any corals yet. (that's 4x the rec dose)

Back