Question about Lyretail Anthias

Huchtii are very very simular to the squareblock.. I've seen great success with those too :) they look like a green squareblock female

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I see these guys get to 5"?

is this accurate? Seems a little big to have 4 in my 92....

is that just the males?

my book says 4.7" but yeah they can get large over time .. book recommends 1:8 ratio and a 180 tank.. I had 4 in my 90 for a long time until the heat one summer took them :(

Could I have 1 male and 2 females in my 65? The only other fish I have are a naked clown and a bengaii ... Still need to know where they tend to sleep ... and if they jump.

Unfortunatey I lost a female - found her this morning. Water checks out fine (nitrates 5 so I did a small water change)

They've not started eating yet. I'm getting some live brine to try.

There's plenty of pvc hiding places for them, and they certainly hide in there to sleep.

Sherri - the 1 to 2 ratio should be fine. I've read it's important to have females for the male to "keep in line" ;) Or he may spread his aggression to other tank mates.

I am so sorry you lost one. It sounds like it is good to have the live brine on hand to get them started and then shift them over? The number would be okay -- you always have to keep those males in line ...

But if they sleep down low I cannot have them -- the lobster will eat them. Darn -- I thought I might be close to finding a fish I could add. Please keep me updated and when you add to your tank (they are in QT right now?) watch where they sleep for me.

I am so sorry you lost one though. I always feel so bad when I lose anything.

mental1 - thanks, I hate losing them too. I'll get the live brine this evening, then slowly add in some frozen brine (enriched probably). See if I can get them over to frozen. Then they'll probably take quickly to other prepared foods.

They are in QT. There are only pvc pieces in there, so they don't have a choice on where to sleep. Maybe other owners can say where these fish like to sleep. Once they're all together in the 180, I'll let you know what they do.

Mine sleep in the crevices of rocks(usually towards the back of the tank next to the glass).

Lisa, sorry to hear about the female loss..that always stinks! Try feeding some fish goo...that's what I feed the whole tank and they have been great eaters since day 1..and literally can't get em to stop! My male is absolutely gorgeous fuschia pink(i think that is what I would call it-colorwise). And the females are keeping him in check!(hehe:) ) I'll have to take some decent pics on e day...but by far they are absolutely gorgeous fish! And quite fun to watch...esp[ecially when the male tries to show off....
Good Luck!

tabby:)

Tabittha -- are the crevices on the bottom of the tank? Middle? Up high? I have a lobster who will eat any fish that sleeps low...

Tabittha -- are the crevices on the bottom of the tank? Middle? Up high? I have a lobster who will eat any fish that sleeps low...

Hi Sherri-
Well, to be honest...I think it really depends on how you have your tank aquascaped and honestly, I have to believe that for the most part it is how my fish unteract with each other as a whole that also depends on where who will sleep where(although I could be so gosh darn wrong...just how I srta piece it together with my tanks) I have pretty solid base rock(so not too many crevices in the back close to sand bed that would be "suitabale" for sleeping. Ih ave a 55 which is IMO a crappy tank size only b.c you don't have much width(no real estate:() so I made sure the LR was pretty close to being flush with glass to give me as much floor room as I could up front. I have solid rock base and built "shelves" off the DSB so i could have enoguh room to incorporate all the types of coral I wanted...With all that...short answer is my guys tend to sleep a little higher up in the tank and "their" territory is a very nice "open" rockwork structurre with lots of nooks and crannies and they all slumber in there together(plus one hippo..who just wants in on anything:rolleyes:). Not sure how they work Mr. Lobster though, never had one...HTH and makes sense too:D

tabby

I went and got some live brine last night. Also grabbed a new bottle of Artic Pods - thought they may go for it. They did seem to come out for food when I put in a couple of drops of the pods, but the male ate one then spit it out (doesn't he know that stuff's expensive and there a fish starving some where? ;) ).

So I put in a little live brine. They all went for it (sigh). Gave them another little meal this morning.

I will continue to offer them choices, but will have the live brine, too.

I wonder if it would be different if they were with other fish that ate prepared foods? These guys are by themselves in QT. Fishie see fishie do? Maybe I should put them in the 30g and see what they do. They seem healthy, but I don't want to cut QT short either. :confused:

Tabby - I'm glad yours were eating right away. This is not fun :rolleyes:

Sherri - I don't know what to say regarding your lobster. I'm sure he's cool, but it must be frustrating trying to figure out what you can add.

Last edited:
Tabittha --thanks for you thoughts. It probably is what would make them happy. I am not sure where in my tank they would end up. I have a nice cave area but that is where the lobster lives. The bengaii goes in there a lot but manages to evade Pinchy!

It would be an ordeal to catch the lobster -- probably have to tear the tank apart. I don't have a lot of space on the tank floor to set a trap big enough for him. It was a stupid move but the person I bought him from said he was reef safe. He was wrong and I stupidly checked just after I set him free in my tank. So now I have to figure out what I can add. The clown and bengaii do fine with the lobster. Plus my tank size means no tangs who would also be fine with the lobster. And yes, I am frustrated.

I am glad you have gotten them to eat -- I read in a few places that people started with the live brine and then shifted to mixing it with frozen and then completely on frozen. So maybe it is just a process you have to go through. I would keep them in the QT if I were you. I am really encouraging you because I am committed to doing the proper QT thing before adding any more fish to my tank!

FYI/Update - all of the anthias are now eating frozen (hooray!). I got some enriched brine cubes and smaller sized mysis. Now they chow down.

Well, they are moving to the DT this weekend. I finished the Furan 2 treatment, and they are now in their Prazipro treatment. I just couldn't take the chance and not treat them since I knew they were exposed to flukes. (A wrasse I added to the QT had them and I also lost one anthia to a secondary bacterial infection).

Once they settle in I'll update on their sleeping location.

They definitely like to sleep in the rocks. They find any little path between rocks and even between rock and sand to slip through around the tank. I think they'd be lobster chow Sherri :(

Darn -- some for sale in the other thread -- just asked. I just don't know what fish to add. Pinchy is alive and well and growing. He's molted twice -- he waits by his rock for feeding. I wish he came out more so we could see him, then it would be worth not having fish in the aquarium!

Back