Question converting

dcforester1

Finally enjoying my tank
I was making some water and my Mag was at 1000. I wanted to raise it to 1350. I was using epsom salt to do it. It said to add 29.2 ozs. (I am assuming dry weight). I only had 1 1/2cups and threw them in. Now my mag is over 1500(top of scale). Where did I go wrong? I know that liquid and mass ozs are different, but 1 1/2 cups cannot be more, or am I an Idiot? Volume 65gal
TIA Derek

Last edited:
It just doesnt make sense to me. It said 29oz, and I added a1 1/2 cups, I know it was less than 29oz, because the whole box was 3lbs, and there was only alittle left. I have always been pretty much on, and I dont know if I missed something, Does anyone know what the levels are (approx) with IO RC, when mixingf it according to the directions?
TIA

Thanks Delta, that was my question. when they are saying use epsom salt, is it Randy recipe, so 29oz of liquid of the disolved part, or 29oz of dry epsom salt out of the box?

Does anyone use Randys rec? I was always confused were it says, you add it daily in the begining, Are you adding both of them?

Then it says when you are done adding a gallon of the calc, and alk part, you add the mag, Is that the only time you add the mag?

Do you monitor the mag, and add it while adding the others? or only after the calc, and alk are empty?

What do you do if the calc is in check, and the alk is low do you just add that part, because he says not to fiddle with it.

If anyone is using this, and is willing to talk to me over the phone, please PM me. Some one offered to awhile ago, but I never took him up on it, because I was alittle confused at the time. Its amazing that was about three month ago, and I am still confused.

Tia Derek

Wel, I have never used his recipe on a regular basis but I only add it in increments of
120ml/day until I hit my mark on my 200gtank. 1-1/2cups in a 65 is alot.

Add what you need leave the rest out. But it is good to find out how much of each
gives you "X" PPM in your tank. Just add and Measure.

I didnt put it in my tank, I was making some water for a waterchange. I stupid sometime, but I know when stop. LOL

When you add it, are you adding both parts calc and alk?

And do you add it after you test, or do you know thats how much you use everyday?

Do you use 1or2, My ph is at 8.4, he says you should use 2. So I think that is what I am going to use.

Thanks again

When I started to dose my tank I would dose then test to see the change. Mag seems to take a bit to make the change.

I have the formula so now it is very easy to make adjustment.

I rarely need to dose Calc or ALK as I have a reactor now but for the most part Calc and ALK were daily Mag was when ever it was needed. Mag doesn't get depleted too fast.

I dose Randy's 2 part exclusively.
JMO,but I've never just used epsom salt.Always followed the recipe and used a combo of epsom and Mag. flake.I check my Mg. bi-weekly.Magnesium depletes in a system much slower than calcium or alk.
BTW,I ran a tank with Mg around 1500ppm for almost a year and the only thing that happened was the bryopsis died out.

Back