Question for AI Sol and other LED Fixture Users

Ellabug

Non-member
I've had 2 AI Sol units over my tank for a year now and my corals have done pretty well under them. I originally had them mounted perpendicular to the tank, but have never been thrilled with the coverage I got from that configuration. I finally got around to remounting them over the weekend and they are now parallel to the tank. Also cleaned off (some) salt creep in the process. Well a day and a half later and my corals are very unhappy! Zoas are all closed, half of my LPS are shruken, and even my very hardy birdsnest and digis are retracted. I would estimate that half of the ones that are unhappy were already in bright areas before the change in lighting and moving the lights should not have affected the amount of light they were already getting. I've cut back my intensity from 55/60/60 at the highest point to 35/40/40, but polyps are still closed or retracted. Has anyone with LEDs made similar changes in how their lights were hung that could offer some advice on this? Really don't want to fry everything!

I would say that you cleaning the lens would be the only thing that could have done it unless a low light area became a high light area but you say you're seeing it in a few places. A blocked lens can make a big difference, I wipe mine once a month

Well shifting the layout of the lights definitely provides better coverage and areas that were shaded no longer are. I expected to see changes in these areas. Do you think I've reduced the percentage enough, or should I go even dimmer? How long should I expect it to take before they bounce back and readjust?

I may be wrong in this statement.

Usually when a change is made it is better to turn the lights down and ramp up again over time.

Just my cleaning the lens and changing the position of the light may not seem like much. But it is like driving for a year without cleaning your windshield in your car. Then one day you go out there and clean the glass and wonder how you were ever able to see the road before.

Good luck! Remember. They can go without light for a while, but cannot take intense light for a long period of time.

They were with higher light for about a day before I noticed the response and ramped everything down this morning as soon as I noticed. I do plan to very slowly ramp back up once they get used to the change. In the mean time I'm hoping the day with higher light didn't fry them :(

I was told it didn't matter what direction the lights went. They still have the same coverage

In theory this would be true.

But add in salt creep, water quality, reflection etc. and the coverage does stay the same.

What does change is the quality of the light intensity and quality that does change.

A square is a square is a square. You do not get the same sun intensity when sitting under a fall tree without leaves.

Does this make more sense?

I think when jfourn83 said same light no matter what direction. He meant parallel versus perpendicular orientation. Not anything about salt creep.

I think when jfourn83 said same light no matter what direction. He meant parallel versus perpendicular orientation. Not anything about salt creep.

Agreed. A square, retangular, or circular projection of light would just be that. No matter how orientated. It is the quality of light that is really in question here plus the refraction of light off the tank from changing the lights orientation.

Really easier to show with a white board.

Well, I can say from experience that mounting them parallel has dramatically reduced the huge shadow that existed in the middle of my tank created by the center bar. This is regardless of salt creep.

Back