question on flow/powerhead configuration

tucc185

Non-member
I am looking to upgrade the flow in my tank, and deciding between a few options. It's a 46 bowfront, with a lot of LPS, some softies, and some SPS. I'm considering a tunze turbelle stream 6000, but: 1.) is that too big to fit (aesthetically speaking) in the tank? and 2.)will that really make a big difference, since it wouldn't be run on a controller, over a couple of powerheads? My other idea is to put 2 return pumps in my sump, alternate them on a timer every 15 min. or so, and put a SCWD on each, with each of the two outputs on opposite sides of the tank, for a total of four alternating returns. I'm also considering putting four eheim compact powerheads in opposing corners of the tank and getting a Red Sea wavemaster pro, although I really don't like the look of powerheads in the tank. Any thoughts? experiences with any of these products? other recommendations? Thanks for your input,
Mike

In a 46 bow a Tunze is WAY overkill and I believe you would regret it. In a 3' tank a simple return manifold maybe with the addition of a Squid would be great, and if you want to step it up one notch go to a squirt with individual outlets on the return.

Yeah, an ocean motions squirt is the solution for you! :)

You can get rid of all your powerheads, move to a slightly larger return pump, and plumb it to four outlets around the top of the tank. The Squirt will alternate outlets around the top to give you killer flow.

Check the equipment forum. Piscevore is selling one used.

Back