Questions Regarding New Maxima Clam: New Clam Wont Open Fully

wolffman1992

Non-member
Today I purchased a Maxima Clam (about 3-4") from a local fish store. I have two clams already in my tank both of which are doing well. All my params are in check, I am running 2 Hydra 26's over the tank, and placed the clam on the rock work seeing as they are rock boring clams. I burped the clam before I placed him in my display tank to make sure no pyramid snails were on the foot (which I also did in the fish store). The clam has a little bit of the tissue exposed however it is no where near to being fully open. It is impossible for me to see if the clam is gaping because it is simply too closed up. In the past when I added new clams some gaped for a few hours before retaining a healthy look while they adjusted to the new tank yet this clam is puzzling me. I forgot to mentioned I drip acclimated it for 45 minutes before adding it to my tank. Has anyone experience this before? I have read several forums that have had similar problems but they were addressing pinched mantles as opposed to not being open. I am not new to keeping clams just perplexed. Anyone have any ideas or input?

Attachments

• IMG_1337.JPG
    IMG_1337.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 212
Does it react when you place hand over it or touch it? I recently lost a crocea due to gaping and it would react to neither.

It reacts well and with force however it still remains mostly closed. It just moved off the rock work so I set it in the sand. I am pissed because I believe I was sold an unhealthy clam. There is no real other explanation for it as I said my other clams are fine this new one is just not doing well. It had every sign of being healthy, new growth on shell, clean shell, clean foot. I just don't get it

Hopefully it just needs time to settle in for you. I'm no expert but I think it's more a good sign that it's staying shut rather than staying open.

It is starting to look better today and open up more thanks a bunch guys for your anxiety relief!

Keep an eye on it though. I had 6 clams, and took one in for a friend that didnt look that great. well that clam died, and all mine died. These were not new clams in my tank, they were all in for 1-2yrs, I don't know if it was related, just my experience.

Good Luck Derek

thats true , and I have heard that when one goes in a tank it can take the rest out with it . but thats as far as I know Myth or fact ?

Back