Quick water question

781rayray

Non-member
So i had to remove water from my tank(clean water,salt level and everything in good standings.

Can i keep the water in a gallon and save it for when i need it.(when my water level goes down)

So lets say 1-2 weeks pass by can i use that water?

•All In One Acrylic 30G• NooB

If topping off evaporation . You want strait RO no salt. As far as saving for a future water change. not sure never done that. Don't know if it is good idea or not.

ok thanks was wondering about the water i have already mixed with salt and removed from tank then later i want to top off evaporated water... I am just curious if anyone has done that.. It would have to be done if you put too much water in tank and overflow is at water level same as tank lol

•All In One Acrylic 30G• NooB

You don't want to use saltwater to top off your saltwater tank. Period.
Unless you have a leak in your system or you want to spike up your salinity level.
Top off=fresh RODI water.

You shouldn't add saltwater for top off purposes. When water evaporates it leaves behind the salt and minerals. So say you evap 5 gallons well the remaining water in your tank now has a higher salinity. So if you go and add saltwater your just going to make the salinity higher and higher over time. Just dump the gallon not even worth saving a gallon of water to me. It's like 1$s worth of salt.

Yup, only the fresh water part evaporates, it leaves the salt behind. When you want to top off only add fresh water, preferably rodi water, if you don't, your salinity level will climb each time u add more salt water

As for using that for future water changes... I would be curious if the bacteria introduced by it while it was in the tank might spike phosphates, nitrates or something else. Better safe than sorry in this hobby I would say toss it. A gallon of water is only going to be about half cup of salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back