Raising ph of well water for reef tank

nickeg79

BRS Member
Hello,

I am looking for some information about raising the Ph of well water. My PH level is about 7.2 in my cycling 37 gallon reef tank. I have live rock and a few hermits to clean the diatoms and algea. I have a neptune apex controller and the ph fluctuates between 7.3 (daytime) and 7.2 night time.

I have a in tank skimmer a mp10 running full blast and temp at about 78 degrees.

I used the neptune tester and Api test strips and the reading is the same. I also took the well water reading out of my faucet and it is about 7.0
I use an rodi system for my tank water changes and initial setup.

I am adding a buffer and it is not raising the ph at all. My calcium is about 400. Magnesium is a little low at about 1100. I did not want to start adding all kinds of stuff to get things to the right ph since the tank is still cycling.

Does anyone here use kalk or something else that will bring the ph up in there tank ? The buffer I added for 3 days in a row is not working.

Thanks

What kind of buffer?
What is your current Alkaline?
Alkaline effects PH.
Honestly,I never worry too much about PH.
I think I may have tested that twice in the last 3 years.
It's the Alk,calcium and Mg. that's important. In that order as well as the salinity.

What kind of buffer?
What is your current Alkaline?
Alkaline effects PH.
Honestly,I never worry too much about PH.
I think I may have tested that twice in the last 3 years.
It's the Alk,calcium and Mg. that's important. In that order as well as the salinity.

Agreed, although I would argue it is more important to have your Mag inline first, otherwise you will be chasing Calc & Alk. However it is not used nearly as much as the other two, so once its dialed in, you barely need to test for it.

I'm with Glenn to start - what's the salinity at and how are you measuring it? I find it extremely odd that a 1.020-1.026 raneg would read a PH below the 7.6 range. Past that the Alkalinity would be a big component - ultimately ending in a balanced CA/ALK/MG. A quality salt goes a long way.

I assume the aswer is yes but did you calibrate the probe with 7.0 and 10.0 solution?

I agree, start with checking SG, then look at alk. If SG and alk are both in a normal range for saltwater, then I'd be very suspicous of both the PH probe and the test kit.

Also agreed, bring the mg up or you'll have a terrible time trying to get and keep Ca and alk right.

Hello,

I am looking for some information about raising the Ph of well water. My PH level is about 7.2 in my cycling 37 gallon reef tank. I have live rock and a few hermits to clean the diatoms and algea. I have a neptune apex controller and the ph fluctuates between 7.3 (daytime) and 7.2 night time.

I have a in tank skimmer a mp10 running full blast and temp at about 78 degrees.

I used the neptune tester and Api test strips and the reading is the same. I also took the well water reading out of my faucet and it is about 7.0
I use an rodi system for my tank water changes and initial setup.

I am adding a buffer and it is not raising the ph at all. My calcium is about 400. Magnesium is a little low at about 1100. I did not want to start adding all kinds of stuff to get things to the right ph since the tank is still cycling.

Does anyone here use kalk or something else that will bring the ph up in there tank ? The buffer I added for 3 days in a row is not working.

Thanks

By the time you run the water through an RODI unit mix it with salt you will have little to no issue from the PH of you well water.

Post you Alk parameters as well as specific gravity. they control PH buffer will be a temporary measure. plus in saltwater PH is a gauge not a parameter you adjust. while you can manipulate it when you understand it it is not like Ca,Mg and Alk and those are the big three you need in line.

Have you tried aerating you water then testing the PH? But I wouldn't bother if your Ca, Alk, Mg and SG are not inline.

Also how are you supplementing Ca and Alk

I am using a milwaukee digital salinity refractometer. The salinity is 1.025 I have to check the magnesium again but I believe it was about 1200 ppm off the top of my head

If that's your salinity, it is good.

What is your ALK?
What salt are you using?
Is your probe calibrated?

Got a buddy with a digital probe that you can take a water sample to?

Guys,

Thanks for all of the insight on the issue. I ordered a milwaukee digital reader for ph for a triple check. I ordered some new elos test kits for alkalinity and magnesium from bulk reef supply. Since I do not have any corals or livestock I am just going to wait until I get all of these test kits and really get the numbers correct.

I had a 65 gallon reef before I set up this was going good. I was using the tropic Marine pro salt. I never tested anything but the salinity on it. That salt is awful. The calcium and magnesium was way to high on it. I had some birdsnest and plate corals that suddenly died after growing a little bit. That is why I thought maybe the ph in my well water was the issue. Once I get the parameters again I will post back

OK I have had a breakthrough lol.

The original ph probe I had had the cap on it. That is why the ph was low. I have a new ph probe and the ph is 7.9 right now.

I went to underwater world in Taunton and the owner helped me out. I bet once the lights come on tommorow morning I will be in perfect range.

So the next time you come across this issue on here remember to ask the guy with the flashy new toy if he knows how to use it. I can atleast feel a little better knowing that I am not way out of whack on my parameters. Thanks Guys !!!!

Haha, that's great! You should post this in the "newbie mistakes" thread even if you aren't a noobie :)

The best problems are the ones that are easily and reliably fixed once they are found!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back