RBTA hiding in cave - how do I get it to come out?

agent6473

Non-member
My RBTA was doing fine stationary in a spot where its foot was in a cave and he stretched out of the rockwork. Then I added 2 maxi1200s and its angered him. There was too much flow where he was staying I think and he moved into the cave deeper. So now hes in the middle of the pyramid of rockwork in my tank and hasnt come out for 2 days. I'm worried he'll stay in there and shrink and eventually die. I have since changed the flow pattern so he could return to his original spot, but he hasnt made the move. How long should I give him before I try to get him to move into the light? I was thinking maybe I could put a powerhead on the opposite side of the cave temporarily so that the flow will direct him back to his original position. Is this a good idea?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

The Force. Definitely, use the Force to influence the weaker life forms to do your bidding and move to the appropriate places. ;P

If you don't have command of The Force, I'm horribly afraid that I don't have any great ideas about trying to make BTAs move where you want them to. On the other hand, I wouldn't worry about it shrivelling up under the rockwork. I've had a stubborn BTA that has been perched underneath rock for the better part of 3 months now and while it hasn't grown any, it also isn't dying. I figure when he's good and ready he'll decide to come into the light. :)

Good luck and I'll be interested in seeing if anyone else has any ideas (useful ones at least).

Eric

Let him be, if conditions are right he will be fine, mine acts like that for a day or two before he splits and again after. I purchased a nice RBTA from a member this winter and I now have four, I can tell when he is going to split he goes and finds a hiding place.

Jim

I don't think flow is a problem when it was in my tank I run two tunze 6000 at 100% and it did't bother it

Just let it be. They can take a few weeks to find their happy spot. Don't change the flow around, and he'll figure out where he wants to be.

Nate

Haha, all good advice! I especially like the force. :) I think the problem is that i'm upgrading many components of my tank now and it is just confused. I'll just have to wait around until it decides to find a new home.

Does anyone know of a good anemone obedience school?!

I wish. Mine has moved all over my tank causing me to move corals out of its way. Just when it had settled down in one spot for many months it used an oppertunity while I was out of town to move again. It moved right into my fuge intake. I caught it before it did too much damage thankfully. My advice is try not to change too much at once, and after making flow changes give it a chance to find a comfortable spot on it's own. Eventually it'll move to a spot it likes.

If you create a small overhang with a cave under it, near the top of the tank, without direct flow, your anemone might find his way to it. Mine took about a month, but sure enough it positioned itself right where I wanted it after spending a week or two in various completely invisible places. Maybe they're vain. :)

Back