Re-using old Deep Sand Bed

Salty hands

Non-member
I recently broke down a 90G tank with a DSB and I'm now in the planning stages of moving the contents of another 90G tank to it. The DSB from the first tank has been sitting in buckets for a few weeks. Does anyone know the impact of re-using this sand? The sand has been in the tank for about 9 years.

BTW - The DSB in the 2nd tank is about 3 years old, but it would be really messy to transfer it to the new setup.

Well rinsed, I never had any problems reusing sand. Really just a question of weather it's worth your time to properly rinse the old sand. It is time consuming.

Personally i would only use a few cup fulls of your old sand to seed your new sand. You really never know what that sand bed has trapped in it after all those years.

How about using the same sand for an upgrade. Taking the sand out of one tank and placing that sand in another tank the same day?

personally ive done this twice. the first time I re-used the sand from my 46 and added it to a new 75 and it went fine. The next time a friend gave me 80+lbs of caribsea that was used in his 65 and maybe I didnt clean it enough but I ended up having to replace much of it because I had nothing but problems in the 90 it went in. Its time consuming and messy to correctly clean/rinse the sand and I have since only purchased new sand and seeded with LR/LS from other mature tanks. much easier although more expensive.

How about using the same sand for an upgrade. Taking the sand out of one tank and placing that sand in another tank the same day?

I think the issue is disturbing the sand bed releases alot of the dangerous bacteria in the bed. THeres no way to effectively transport the sandbed without distrubing the anaerobic areas that can cause problems. Thats why most thoroughly rinse the sand and flush out as much as possible in batches.

I would not reuse a 9 yr. old sand bed but I would reseed a new bed with a couple of cups as stated. I think that old bed would be a smelly mess.

I've been "cleaning" about 3/4 of a 5g bucket of sand I had sitting for a few months.. doing about 10lb or so at a time.. in an old pillow case, rinse a few times, then boil for 15-20 mins, then rinse a few more times.. it come out fine but takes about an hour for every 10lb,..

in hindsight I should have just tossed it out, and bought the other 30lb or so I need..

the same conclusion I came to. I think I got lazy doign 80lbs and slacked a little bit during cleaning...as a result, I had problems but it can be done if you want.

Back